Fish Freaking Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Something Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got 2 fish for my 5 gallon tank, a dwarf gourami and a cory catfish. I bought them two days ago and they have been swimming up and down frantically since I got them. I've had corys before in other tanks, and they spent most of their time swimming around the bottom looking for stuff to eat, with the occasional outburst of swimming up and down the glass. This one is swimming like a maniac literally non-stop from morning to night. I think that's why the gourami is freaking out too, b/c of the cory. The only time they stop is when I put food in the tank, and they take a brief break to hoover up all the flakes, and then resume their wild swimming.

Is this bad? Is something wrong? Honestly, it's kind of stressful to watch them, so I hope they aren't all stressed out too.

There is a current in the take, you can really see it when the food flakes are in there. Could this be the problem? This is where they swim mostly, up and down the glass where the current it. The plants in the tank don't sway though, and the fish don't seem to have trouble staying in one spot when it seems like they want to, so the current can't be that strong.

Also, the cory is very little. Will he relax when he gets more mature?

What's the problem here? Is there anything I can do to make the filter less strong? I can't get a new filter, it's one of those Eclipse things where everthing fits together.

Corys have to be in a school of atleast 3 or 4, when their in two small of numbers they can get very freaked out, and even kill themselves by, say, smashing into a rock, or the glass in a frantic burst of speed.

I mentioned this to the girl at the fish store because someone here told me that, and she said no, they would be fine on their own. She said she had one alone in her tank at home. I've had corys alone before, but in bigger tanks. Does that make a difference?

This is so confusing. It seems like everyone tells me something different. Not that I don't trust the advice I get here, and I appreciate it very much, but it seems like there is so much conflicting information from different people. It's very frustrating.

Simple word of advice.

Do your research, and don't trust anyone at a LFS, specially LFS stores like PetSmart and PetLand.

Trust me, I know how you feel. They kept selling me plants for my aquarium, only to find out that the plants were never EVER grown underwater and will, and did often die.

They also told me my CAE wouldn't get much bigger than what he was already, He was 2 inches then. Now, hes over 4 and I found out the species grows to almost a foot.

So, to reiterate. Don't trust the people at your local LFS. :? :wink:

I would definitely assume that the cory is unhappy due to the (1) small tank confines and (2) no buddies. You should be able to solve this problem with some mates for him. I'll bet the girl at the LFS had a school of corys and one by one they died, leaving one, which was relatively content since it was accustomed to the tank already before it found itself alone. Your lone cory, however, is in a new tank and without it's mates on top of that, so my money is on loneliness. Also, catfish in general tend to explore their territory heavily and actively before settling down so that is playing a role, too. I know it is frustrating to hear different stories from every quarter, but on this forum you will get first-hand experience from many different people, and the best advice is from people who have gone through the same thing you are going through.

I definitely suggest getting another cory. Two of them should actually be fine, since I have two and they have been doing fine for several months. That amount of fish will obviously be pushing your bioload in a 5 gal, but if you have good filtration and do frequent water changes, I would say that it should be okay. My cories are best friends. They seem to actually enjoy sharing their food, and while they occasionally swim around frantically, they are for the most part calm fish, and they never get too frantic.

Okay, so I should get another cory. Can I get a speckled one or one with a different coloring or should I get one just like him? I hope that works, b/c if not then I'll have 3 fish runnin wild in my tank! They are cool little fish though, so I don't mind having a pair of them. :)

The thing with the fish store emloyees is that when I ignore their advice they look at me like I don't care about the animals I own. I hate that feeling, b/c of course I do care about them. I guess on the bright side is that, counting my betta, I've been back in the aquiarium thing for a month or so and haven't killed any fish yet.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Try to get the same type; sometimes they won't school if they are a diff type. Chances are you have a pretty common cory and it won't be too tough to find a buddy.

As for the lfs employee attitude, I think we all get it (yeah even me; shoulda seen the crap I had to go thru when I did a fishless cycle. apparently fish store emplyees DON'T like that *grin*). Just keep in mind you HAVE done your research, and you KNOW you are doing the right thing, then feel bad for the other folks who are taking the that employee's advice *grin*

I've gone so far as to speak up and help people out when the employee's back is turned.

Such as the infamous " it won't get much bigger than that. "

Only to find out hes trying to sell a 3 inch Bala Shark that'll grow HUGE!

William said:
I've gone so far as to speak up and help people out when the employee's back is turned.

Such as the infamous " it won't get much bigger than that. "

Only to find out hes trying to sell a 3 inch Bala Shark that'll grow HUGE!
How huge is huge? I have 2 in my 55 gal. and do they grow fast?

Balas will get to over a foot long in size justmy2cents, although I don't know how quickly they grow.

Back
Top Bottom