Fish gasping for air after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
It;s been awhile since I've been on here.

So I have had my 55 gallon tank up for 4 years. I decided to do a 40% PWC like I normally do. I added my prime and water. I woke up this morning, and noticed that two of my fish had died, and the rest were gasping for air at the top. I immediately did another PWC which was about 60% and they seemed to be acting fine after that. Well a few hours later they started gasping again at the top of the tank. I have no idea whats going on. I did have a party last night, and I am wondering if someone might have contaminated the water or something. I also thought maybe since it's been so hot so I added a airstone and air pump to see how that goes.. The temp is 80 F

With as many PWC I have done, do you think another one would make things worse?? Some ideas and help would be greatly appreciated!

Those are pretty big water changes and you may have shocked them if the temp was to drastic of a change. Gasping is a sign of low oxygen normally due to high temp so adding a air stone would help.

You might want to check with your town/municipality to see if they did any work or treatment to the water lines. I've read similar threads where experienced members had fish die after a routine PWC... Turns out the town purged the water lines.

It's threads like these why I no longer do large (40%) pwc's at once. I do 5 -10 gallon increments throughout the week till I've done 25 - 30gallons worth.

Back
Top Bottom