Fish Got Sucked Into Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rufuspimpin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Goldfish Enthusiasts,

I'm always reading, but never advising because I don't got none.

So now I gots a gnu problem.

We gots this big filter unit consisting of 1-1/2 piping. The intake was a 1-1/2 pipe drilled with small holes to suck the water in. It got disconnected from the elbow, so for a day or two, the water was being sucked in through the 1-1/2 elbow.

To my HORROR, a goldfish and an 8 month old koi got sucked into the filter basket. Presuming they were dead, I took the basket out and looked at the fish and their wounds. To some additional HORROR, both fish were still alive. The koi's back end was completely jacked up. A good portion of his tail was missing. The gold fish looked like it had been tossed around and around. He was in bad shape too, but not as extreme as the koi.

I set up my quarantine bin (where I had previously put my wounded goldfish) and set up an air pump. I put the instructed dosage of malafix to the water.

jsoong mentioned in my previous problem to add some rock salt to the water. I am unsure what an appropriate dosage of rock salt to add.

My hopes for the koi's survival is slim to none. I feel bad for the goldfish because this is the second time something BAD happened to it. He might make it, is why I am looking for any advice to better his survival.

I should have given the goldfish away when the contest finished... but moms wanted to keep them because they were actually larger than most of the other contestants.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Keep the water super clean. That's really all you can do. Maybe pick up some stress zyme/coat. 1 tsp per gallon is the salt measurement, dissolve first. I would skip the salt for now, and just use clean water, and if they get infected, then use the Melafix.

Back
Top Bottom