fish got tangled in plant.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LollyMac11

Aquarium Advice Regular
My little goldfish with big fancy tail got herself tangled up in one of my plants this morning. I took both the plant and fish out of the water for a few seconds while I untangled her. It was wrapped quite tightly find the tail end of her body. She had shredded her tail fin slightly and lost 2 or 3 scales. She now looks very tired, she isn't swimming much, just resting. She isn't floating at the top, if turning upside down, which is a good sign. I have since put some food in and she is eating well and swimming well to get to the food. My other fish isn't bothering or bullying her.
Can anyone offer any advise. Will she be ok if I just leave her to rest or do I need to do something.
Thanks in advance.

LollyMac11 said:
My little goldfish with big fancy tail got herself tangled up in one of my plants this morning. I took both the plant and fish out of the water for a few seconds while I untangled her. It was wrapped quite tightly find the tail end of her body. She had shredded her tail fin slightly and lost 2 or 3 scales. She now looks very tired, she isn't swimming much, just resting. She isn't floating at the top, if turning upside down, which is a good sign. I have since put some food in and she is eating well and swimming well to get to the food. My other fish isn't bothering or bullying her.
Can anyone offer any advise. Will she be ok if I just leave her to rest or do I need to do something.
Thanks in advance.

She should be fine, but I would monitor her condition closely. When fish get super stressed like that they are more prone to getting sick. Maintain good water quality and make sure your temperature in your tank doesn't vary to much and she should be fine. Keep us updated on her!!! Good luck!!

I would do a couple extra water changes this week to help heal the scale and fin damage, and prevent infection. If your goldfish looks really stressed still, you might want to turn the lights off to lessen stress.

Thanks to both! I did a water change this afternoon. I will keep a close eye on her. I will check her tonight when I get home and do another water change day after tomorrow. I will keep you up to date.
Thanks again.

I have been home for about an hour. She is swimming round a bit more now. Her dorsal fin is up again and she seems happier. My other fish is still leaving her alone. So all seems well. She looks funny, can you imagine a fish 'limping', she swims a bit in a funny way then stops! Her tail end of her body must be sore!
Will let you know how she gets on!
Thanks! :)

Glad to hear shes improving! As suggested, just keep an eye on her & keep the water super healthy. Her scales will grow back fairly quickly & her tail will heal though she may have a permanent 'limp'. As long as shes healthy & happy, this is all that really matters! :)

I couldn't agree more! She looks much better this morning! Going to do another water change tomorrow. I think she'll be ok! Thanks!

ForumRunner_20120222_105258.jpg

ForumRunner_20120222_105335.jpg

ForumRunner_20120222_105407.jpg

ForumRunner_20120222_105435.jpg

Here are some photos of her tail fin.
She is swimming normally now.
Some of the shredded pieces of her tail fin have broken off and in places it looks really white. Could this be fin rot? If it is what is the best thing to do? I have added a little extra salt to the tank to help stop infection and I will be doing another water change this afternoon (english time!)
Or do you think her fins look ok and I'm just being paranoid?! ;)

Are the broken edges where she was caught or were they there previously? Your doing a good job with water changes & adding some salt! Healthy water should be enough to heal her up though it may take a bit. If it doesnt start to improve or gets worse looking (more ragged, broken, white/discolored), def let us know & we can look into you options. Good luck! :)

The white patches are from where she shredded her tail fins when she was caught up. A lot if the really straggling bits have fallen off leaving more of a straight cut off effect. It doesn't look like fungi, just white coloured. Do you think this could just be because it was damaged? I have never had a trapped fish before! Don't know what to expect!
Overall she looks quite happy and settled now.....she just had an odd looking tail fin! ;)

Yes, its just some damage from where she got caught. She should be fine! Just keep up the good work on keeping her water healthy & she should heal herself without anything special. :)

LollyMac11 said:
Here are some photos of her tail fin.
She is swimming normally now.
Some of the shredded pieces of her tail fin have broken off and in places it looks really white. Could this be fin rot? If it is what is the best thing to do? I have added a little extra salt to the tank to help stop infection and I will be doing another water change this afternoon (english time!)
Or do you think her fins look ok and I'm just being paranoid?! ;)

That's a good chunk out of her tail. Hope she is ok.

Tetra1990 said:
That's a good chunk out of her tail. Hope she is ok.

She seems to be doing well now. She is swimming normally again. I was very worried at first but it has started to heal, it isn't getting any worse. One side looks ok, the other has got a huge chunck missing.
I am still doing lots of water changes and adding a bit of extra salt.
But, she looks happy and is eating well, so I feel a lot better.
I had never seen a fish get so tangled in a plant! But she still dives into them like there's no tomorrow! Lol! May have to take out the one she got tangled up in just to be on the safe side!
Thanks for your concern! :)

Quick update. Her fins seem to be healing and growing, however one part has started to go black around the edge. I have posted a pic, what do you think? Should I be worried? I am doing water changes every other day and still adding a bit extra salt.
Any advise?

ForumRunner_20120229_010322.jpg

I wouldnt worry too much as long as your parameters are good! Sometimes healing tissue can be discolored- if it gets worse or there are any new symptoms, let us know!

Thank you! Other than the funny colour she is ok. All other fins look healthy. She isn't showing signs of irritation.
I will keep you informed!
:)

She's much better now. The blackish colour has gone and the fin is healing nicely. I will post a picture once she has completely healed.
Thanks all!
:)

Back
Top Bottom