Fish had red "bloody gills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Can you QT?

Ammonia or some chemical poisoning is possible. After that - is it both sides or one (parasites might also be possible).

if you can transfer him without shocking him then yah.... but honestly I usually just treat the whole tank cause what ever he has he probably already passed it on to the other fish,,,,

Never treat your main tank because it can affect other things in the tank. Unless every fish has the same problem.

Both sides are bloody red just one side is worse off I mean he's swimming and eating fine. It's just I don't know how to treat and it's not from my water he was bought like that.

From reading through, we don't know on transport or any treatments the store did. If I could catch it, I'd shift to a hospital / QT.

If it was just rough transport (their end), then hopefully recovers. Maybe a half dose of MB. Any flashing or gill cover lifts, would look at parasites treatment.

Was he part of a school that you bought or just one fish? And what sort of fish? If the rest of the school is ok, is hopefully a one-off. Flashing and spinning sound like a fair bit of internal damage now (especially if a small fish). You could try MB (not in main tank imo unless concerned on other fish) but would say a low chance (link attached).

Aquarium Medications Part 3 | Parasite & Chemical treatments

Back
Top Bottom