Fish have Saprolegnia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishgal9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted?
The angel fish a a large cottony thing on his eye. The black skirt tetras also had a little on their eyes and head.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Temp = ~80
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 160
pH = 6.0-6.5

I have a very hard time keeping the pH any higher.

I live in a rural area. I have very hard water – although it is softened (it is still considered hard.) I buy RO water – 12 gallons at a time. I have occasionally put a gallon of my tap water in the tank if the water level gets too low (due to evaporation) before I can buy more water.

I use 5 in 1 test strips:
GH is always 180+ (very purple)
KH is ? - the color is very yellow – chart shows pale yellow to green/greenish blue

I only have fake plants and a large piece of driftwood in my tank.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

I have a 55-60 gallon freshwater tank – 7 ½ years ago.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Rena Filstar Canister Filter XP2 300 GPH

~5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
(1) Pleco - ~12 years ~ 12” nose to end of body (doesn’t include tail fin)
(1)Angel fish - ~1-2 years ~ little bit bigger than the size of an oreo cookie
(2) black skirt tetras - ~2-3 years ~ between a quarter and a half dollar size
(1) Harlequin raspbora ~ 2-3 years ~ 1”+

(I know I should have more of like kind fish (at least my Raspbora and angel fish), but my house is for sale and I am trying to keep my tank to a minimum until I move.) I got the angel fish from a friend (originally 4 of them) about 1 ½ years ago. She didn’t want the tank /fish anymore. 2 of them died within a few months. 3rd one died about 6 months ago (never looked/acted sick).

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

I did a water change and vacuum yesterday. I do both of these about 1/month. I remove about 11-12 gallons at a time.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

See above. I got my pleco in April 2002. He/she made the move with me from another state to my present tank 7 ½ years ago, when I set up this tank. All of the fish have been in the tank for at least the last 1-2 years.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

No - other than Fungus cure – yesterday

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I feed once a day:
1 large algae wafer daily for the pleco.
Tropical fish food flakes for the other 4 fish.
I used to feed 1-2 mini algae wafers for a dojo weather loach, but he died about 2 weeks ago. I had him about 5 years. No idea what happened, he never acted sick. Found him one morning laying on the bottom of the tank upside down – clearly dead.

I have not changed their diet – BUT – I was on vacation about a month ago and my mother stayed at my house to feed my cats and fish. (She is my problem and I don’t intend to ask her to do this for me in the future. She thinks I feed my fish too little – I don’t.) I am sure she overfed my fish. We have gotten into arguments about this in the past - I have left enough food for only the time I have been gone. She has gotten upset with me wanting to know where more food is. This time, she never mentioned it – I am guessing she bought some of her own food and fed them extra. I cleaned the tank before I left. I noticed mid-week the cottony stuff on the fish and fuzzy stuff on the gravel. When I vacuumed, all kinds of food (algae wafers mostly) was buried in the gravel. I still have gunk in the gravel – can’t get all of it in 1 shot.

I have also noted over the past month that algae is growing a lot on my air tubes, filter equipment and heater (plastic pieces).

After a cleaning, I typically add:

Stress Coat
Liquid Gravel Vac
aquarium salt
mineral blocks (generic? Buy at my aquarium store – no brand name).
I occasionally add Pimafix, if any fish start to look ill (this happens rarely.)

I added liquid Fungus Cure to the water yesterday due to the Saprolegnia, but I only added 20 ml. Directions say 5 ml per 5 US gallons. I read another forum where they added according to the directions and most of their fish died within a few days (Die Off After Fungal Treatment - Freshwater Fish Disease - 109848)

I want to be cautious – don’t want to disturb the biological bacteria too much, too quickly.

Chemicals I have on hand (I have only used any of them on very rare occasions):

Ammonia detoxifier (had it for years- my ammonia reading is never above 0)
Algae Fix
Coppersafe
Melafix
PraziPro

All are still alive this morning. I plan on doing a 10% water change and vacuum more gunk today.

Should I add more Fungus Cure? If I add Liquid Gravel, it is a waste of time (Fungus Cure counteracts it?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those nitrates are really high. Anything above 40 is generally considered as potentially dangerous most keep nitrates at 20 or below. I would honestly do daily water changes until your nitrates come down. Lots of illnesses can be best treated simply by improving the water quality.

I know they are high. I plan on doing water changes every day (or other day).

Good news, the fish that had a small amount of white stuff on their eyes look to be almost clear. my angel fish had a large cottony piece of fuzz on his left eye. most of that has now fallen off. Eye still has a small amount of white, but I hope that will get better. Luckily, the extent of the saprolegnia is minimal. Their bodies are not covered with it, just 1-2 spots each, maily their eyes.

I want to get rid of the algae and reduce the nitrates. I have the Algaefix but I dont think I should try to combine that chemical in the tank right now. Any suggestions?

I personally don't use chemicals for algae. You might want to consider leaving your lights on less often if that could be the issue or add some snails ir plecos to your tank if feasible. If not a scrubber works too! I don't remember from your post if you have any but live plants can help naturally reduce nitrates. Honestly though it sounds like you could pretty easily get them under control with water changes:) one medication i do use when all else fails is maracyn-oxy. Its designed for true fungal infections but i have found it to cure almost anything.

I've been doing weekly water changes ~15%, the nitrate level has come down ~60-80 but still trying.

I thought I had the cotton wool disease fixed, the stuff was gone from their eyes (2 had it on one of their eyes). Then, my pleco seemed to have it on one of his eyes about a week ago. I added coppersafe to the water (I feel like I am grasping at straws!) It seemed to help the pleco although the thing on his eye started to look like a worm. His eye got bloody and it enlarged a bit and healed up but it almost looks like the thing is in his eye? I am worried – he hasn’t been eating his algae wafers. I’ve tried putting lettuce and peas in the tank. (I tried this a long time ago but he never showed any interest.) He still didn’t want the lettuce or peas. I stopped putting wafers in for a few days – only drop about 2 small ones every few days. I don’t know if they taste better than the large ones? He sucks the tank wall lately, which I thought might be a good sign that he is hungry. He is swimming around the tank more, but not sure he is eating and his stomach looks sunken – which is the first time I have seen this.

Is there anything else I can do? Are there fish hospitals that could get that thing out of his eye?

2014-03-18%2018.15.04.jpg

I have continued to change the water about 20% a week. I added 3 snails but they died rather quickly. I added Melafix about 2 weeks ago. The day after I did this, his bad eye looked bloody-like a blood spot in the middle of his eye socket. As time went on, the blood spot got smaller. I thought it was getting better, but still didn't seem to be eating. He is quite active at times, swimming around - maybe looking for food or he wants my attention? He doesn't seem to touch the large wafers I drop in the tank, so I put in the small wafers. There is a small chance he is eating those - maybe a little if at all. I changed the water in the tank last Wednesday. I put in Pimafix this time starting this past Sunday. Yesterday, I noticed his bad eye had 2 prong like things sticking out from his eye - not very long, just 2 little stubs. Tonight, his eye looks like it is filled with more cream colored stuff - this is new.

Any suggestions? I finally saw a long string of poop - mainly white but light beige at the end of it (not usual grayish beige). I think I am going to lose him/her. Here is a picture of his eye tonight. His other eye is normal.
2014-03-18%2018.15.04.jpg

I have pictures on dropbox but can't figure how to link them here. Any help there? I tried linking the url , but nothing attaches when my post shows up.
2014-03-18%2018.15.09.jpg

Today, the eye has white stuff coming out of it?
2014-03-19%2017.24.26.jpg

I see more white poop and maybe even a little green poop now. Maybe he is eating again - not sure what is green though, other than the actual green algae in the tank (which I never seem him trying to eat.)

2014-03-19A.jpg

This was yesterday.
Picture isn't the greatest but best I could do.

This morning, the eye didn't have the stuff hanging on it, but then later this afternoon, there was something there again. Tonight, stuff is not hanging on it again - looks like a hole in his eye. He is not swimming around much, but not acting sick either (I guess.)

He has been in this tank for almost 8 years. I have never had anything like this. There are only 3 other fish in the tank, they look and act ok. The only new things in the tank recently were 3 snails. 2 died within a day or so. The 3rd one, got lost in my gravel, I assume it died as well.

I think my picture problem was with size so I cropped them down. They are on dropbox and I said to 'Share' them and copied the link to the url. It looks like there is an attempt to attach them in the posts - but not working?

I thought I added the appropriate info in front and behind of my url, but that doesn't appear to be correct?

Back
Top Bottom