Fish hiding and not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have about 20 small african cichlids and two are not coming out from rocks to eat and are breathing heavy. I have plenty of filtration and water circulation and added another extra filter an hr ago but for two days all come out normally but two. They look ok and there s no big aggression just some chasing as usual but yesterday there was a dead fish that was being eaten by the so called boss in tank. Water is 8.0 ph and 0 nitrite 10-20 nitrate and the only thing I don't like is ammonia is .25 ppm. I tested tap and its .25 ppm too. In new filter I added ammo carb. It's small hob canister. I don't know what to do. Thanks

Also should add temp is 79 and I change water weekly. I dosed w aquarium salt. I hadn't used any in a while.

And now one of the two is hiding next to heater facing dim ward just swimming in place

How long as the tank been set up? And also when did you add the new fish?

A couple months maybe 2 1/2. I had my bacteria bloom and waited for it to clear up then added fish. They were all added in two batches a week after the bloom so they've been in I'd say a month

A couple months maybe 2 1/2. I had my bacteria bloom and waited for it to clear up then added fish. They were all added in two batches a week after the bloom so they've been in I'd say a month

That is interesting, there could be a small ammonia spike for adding a lot of fish at once.

When did this strange behavior start? Has it always been like this?

What do you feed them?

That is interesting, there could be a small ammonia spike for adding a lot of fish at once.

When did this strange behavior start? Has it always been like this?

What do you feed them?

Just started maybe a day or two ago. I hadn't seem them come out then finally saw them in the rocks. I feed NLS Thera a small pellet and veggie flakes. Do you think .25 ammonia is a real problem? I know it should be zero but in though 1.0 was where it got really dangerous? I did 25% water change Wednesday last week and will not be able to do another till this Wednesday as I don't have my gravel vac I left at friends house where I cleaned his tank for him

72 gallon

I would just do a water change as soon as possible. It could be an internal parasite, can't say for sure. There are many confounding variables that may lead to to them acting weird. Just observe them for the next few days. Do not over feed as that would usually lead to more problems.

If possible try to feed them green peas if they are bloated.

I would just do a water change as soon as possible. It could be an internal parasite, can't say for sure. There are many confounding variables that may lead to to them acting weird. Just observe them for the next few days. Do not over feed as that would usually lead to more problems.

If possible try to feed them green peas if they are bloated.

I will I don't have to be at work till 1030 tomorrow so ill get the vac in the am an do it. Any suggestion as to how I can get ammonia to zero with tap water that's at .25? Def not bloated. I tried peas randomly once an they didn't touch them. I thawed in water and then crushed them in fingers before I put them in. Thanks for your help!

I will I don't have to be at work till 1030 tomorrow so ill get the vac in the am an do it. Any suggestion as to how I can get ammonia to zero with tap water that's at .25? Def not bloated. I tried peas randomly once an they didn't touch them. I thawed in water and then crushed them in fingers before I put them in. Thanks for your help!

Well for peas, they need to be blanched and you have to remove the skin.

Prime is a good dechlorinator that removes ammonia.

Now two more aren't doing well. One is also wedged next to heater and another is sorta punting downward and that ones find look a little frayed and kind of white on the ends. I'm doing large water change in the morning and hope I don't wake to disaster. I don't know what else to do

That looks like a clown loach, which is not an African cichlid.. Are they with your cichlids?

If so, the cichlids could be harassing them and causing them stress which leads to diseases spread out through the tank.

Yah he's in there. The others are cichlids though that have problems. I've never seen a single cichlid pay attention to him. I know he's not african but there's plenty of people who've had them do fine. The others acting weird are yellow labs

Yah he's in there. The others are cichlids though that have problems. I've never seen a single cichlid pay attention to him. I know he's not african but there's plenty of people who've had them do fine. The others acting weird are yellow labs

I have a community tank I can move him to if I see him getting picked on but have not once.

Did 50% water change this morn and dosed w prime. Still .25 ammonia. Ill try another one tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom