Fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grafton_chic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My fish keep dying, they have a clean tank, well fed. I dont fool around with the water. I did test it and it was a little acidy. How do I get it lower?
Do shells make it more acid or alkaline?

Did you let it do a nitrogen cycle? And how much is a little acidy? Some fish like acidy water. Shells and other tank decor wouldn't have much of an effect on your fish dying. As long as you bought them or found them and washed them properly.

around 6.6 to 6.4 - I tested it right out of the tank like I always do.
Ive had the shells for years, but cant remember if they make the water acid or alkaline. Will remove them if its making the water acid.

No disease and all fins are healthy. Its driving me nuts

Thats not that bad. Sea shells actually make water more alkaline. It may just be the water conditions in your area. (I don't trust mine at all so I buy spring water at the store). Whats your ammonia level and temp like? Also how big is the tank and what kind of fish/plants/decor are in it?

I have goldfish, black widows, swordfish, and a big snail. Its a 4ft tank holds 152 litres. Temp is what the store owner recommended. 26.5 I think it says they set it for me.
Decor is a house and a pot, 2 shells - years old and been in the tank for years. Plastic plants, I did have real ones, but they are always been eating and ruined. and a big corner filter.
How do I check the amonia level please?

Back
Top Bottom