Fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryStar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon filtered aquarium. It is planted with a few different types of plants in (I believe) Eco-complete planted aquarium substrate and a piece of wood. I clean out 25% of the water once a week. I keep the heat concentrated at 78 degrees. I use Seachem Prime to detoxify the water.

What I can't understand is why my fish keep dying. I've been through a few rounds, all seemed to have gotten sick and died. My snail, however, does fine.
All I keep in the aquarium would be a snail and betta fish.

I've tested the water, in which, everything comes out perfectly normal except the pH. I can't seem to get the pH to lower at all, and I can't figure out why it would be so high in the first place.

Any ideas as to why my fish might be getting sick?

How long has the tank been running?if it's a new tank it probably hasn't cycled yet.have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

How long has the tank been running?if it's a new tank it probably hasn't cycled yet.have you checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Yes I have. They are all normal except the pH and the tank has been running for almost a year now.

Can you give a brief explanation on what happens to the fish before they die?are they gasping for air?....sitting on the bottom? Etc

Yes I have. They are all normal except the pH and the tank has been running for almost a year now.

What water did you use? Did you use tap water?? If yes there should be some sort of medicine or something to lower the pH. Then wait for the medicine to work (lets say you leave it all night long). Then do a water change with that water.

And if not Ammonia poisoning. Then maybe it's a fungal or bacteria infection. Or maybe even parasite. Can you tell us the fish symptoms?? (any weird behavior you saw from them?? Like inactive, siting at the bottom or at the water surface/gasping for air, something strange with their body like some unusually white spots, "burned" fins, etc)

Sounds like possibly fish TB if it keeps killing them slowly with few symptoms other than bloating or wasting......
We need symptoms, buy a few cheap guppies and throw them in there if ya want, it will be like a pigeon in a mine shaft.

Sounds like possibly fish TB if it keeps killing them slowly with few symptoms other than bloating or wasting......
We need symptoms, buy a few cheap guppies and throw them in there if ya want, it will be like a pigeon in a mine shaft.

Why guppies?

Why guppies?

Probably because they are inexpensive (and usually hardy). "Canary in a coal mine".

OP - What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH in that tank? "Perfect" does not give us numbers to work with. And what makes you think the pH needs to be lowered? Adjusting it can often cause more problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have to consider that something is living in your tank and killing/infecting your fish slowly over time. Now you need to pay attention to what happens to some new fish such as (guppies) and maybe figure out what the pathogen is. Sometimes it takes a few canary's in a coal mine in order to save lives of many others. This is just science and mathmatecal equasion nothing about kind hearteness, as i think most fish people are!

What species of fish have you had die? How many did you have in tank? Many species need lower PH, neutral to acidic in order to thrive.

What is the type of wood you have in the tank?
Once a friend had an unknown wood in his tank, and after a year his fish started to keep dying. The problem resolved after removing the wood from the tank , but then 3-4 weeks after fish started dying again.
And we thought the wood must have left some residue bacteria on filters, sand, etc. So we emptied the tank, cleared everything including filters and re-do the cycle. İt was all fine after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon filtered aquarium. It is planted with a few different types of plants in (I believe) Eco-complete planted aquarium substrate and a piece of wood. I clean out 25% of the water once a week. I keep the heat concentrated at 78 degrees. I use Seachem Prime to detoxify the water.

What I can't understand is why my fish keep dying. I've been through a few rounds, all seemed to have gotten sick and died. My snail, however, does fine.
All I keep in the aquarium would be a snail and betta fish.

I've tested the water, in which, everything comes out perfectly normal except the pH. I can't seem to get the pH to lower at all, and I can't figure out why it would be so high in the first place.

Any ideas as to why my fish might be getting sick?

Whats the ph reading in the tank and what have you been doing to try and lower it?

Back
Top Bottom