Fish keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CJTJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~I think I have a few different issues. Almost all fishes had very swollen tummies. I gave them peas and most of them are no longer swollen. I had 2 mollies with white stuff around their mouths which have died. 2 other mollies died who had missing scales from the sides. 1 guppy lost all its colour and its tail was almost gone. 1 cardinal tetra had a pink round ball thing on its tail which had died. 4 other fishes died as well but couldn't see anything physically wrong. 2 cardinals were found stuck to the filter inlet dead. 1 guppy who I though was pregnant died with the stomach super swollen but never gave birth. I tried squeezing out the fry after death but there did not seem to be any. She also had a very red anus and gills. This has happened over the last 4-5 days. I also noticed that about 2-3 fishes have a few spots of Ich on them today.

2~Ammonia is 0. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is either 10or 20. PH about 8. Not sure of temp as do not use heater but am living in a tropical country.

3~ about 55g. About 2 months old

4~tickle type filter

5~4 guppies, 3 Endlers, 1 sucker fish, 6 siamese algae fish, 1 shirmp, 1 molly, 3 swordtail, 5 platies, 4 cardinal tetras, 4 zebra dianos.

6~Normally do partial water changing once a week. Did a through gravel cleaning and filter cleaning as was full of brown algae about 8 days ago. Did a partial water change last night.

7~Have had the fishes about 2-4 weeks ?

8~nothing new added to tank.

9~food - floating mini pellet. Have been giving them peas the last 2 days?

I also have found white slime on my filter suction caps. My filter is full of brown stuff which comes back within days after cleaning the plastic containers. My white filter sponge turns brownish/ blackish after hours of changing a new one.

The fish poo is white mixed with black for some. Pink in others, black in some, pale green in some and some are a mix of all colours.

Some of the lighter colours fishes seem to have gills which are more red than normal.

I'm not sure what to do as I know that I have to use a heater and salt for Ich but I've also read that if it's mouth fungus heat will make the bacterial grow. Please help! Thanks in advance!

I'm attached photos of my filter. Please advise if the brown stuff is normal brown algae and should I leave it alone? IMG_20170307_144116.jpgIMG_20170307_144130.jpgIMG_20170307_144155.jpgIMG_20170307_144136.jpg

I am pretty new to fish keeping, but what I have learned is the most important thing to help your fish is water changes. I would do a 20-30% water change daily. Even if your water parameters are normal. Also be sure that you are dosing your tank for only the amount of water you are removing. Not for the entire tank.

You should also get a thermometer. They are very cheap, that way you can at least monitor the temp. Get a digital one as they are more accurate.

Your fish certainly seem to be sick. I am sorry I don't know how to help you more. I don't know much about fish illnesses.

My guess is your tank was still cycling. Improper readings from test strips when the API master kit is the only thing I've found is accurate. Also research how to properly clean your filter (VERY Important) if done wrong can make your tank have mini cycles that kill your fish with ammonia poisoning. I apologize if I'm incorrect on any of this but hopefully helping solve a problem. When a new tank is cycling ammonia builds up and fish can start dropping like flys

Back
Top Bottom