Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish keep dying (all same symptoms)

Hello everybody! I'm new here and in desperate need of some advice. I'll try not to make an epic tale out of this but I have a feeling it will become so anyways as I try to be as detailed as I possibly can.

I have a 16g freshwater aquarium (Coralife BioCube to be exact - complete with filter, biorings and carbon and also have an airstone.) The aquarium has been cycled for nearly 8 months. I have an API testmaster kit and all of my water parameters are measuring as they always have and in good condition.

I keep losing fish and absolutely every single loss has been a result of the same thing. All of the fish I have lost show the exact same symptoms - one right after another and I just lost my latest fish today who was absolutely, POSITIVELY acting fine last night when I left for work. When I came home today I couldn't find her and you absolutely cannot miss her because she was a bright yellow glofish tetra. I finally found her after frantically searching and she was nose down in a fake plant decor and I put her in a breeder net and she passed away (and she would not eat a pea).

The symptoms I'm referring to are sudden loss of motor skills after previously being (or seeming) completely and totally fine. They'll be fine and then suddenly begin swimming on their side, doing nose dives and basically a loss of control of what they're doing. The fish that I just lost (her name was Pierre) I've literally had for the entire duration of having what I hoped was a healthy, thriving tank (so 7 or 8 or so months). She's been the "Queen", so to speak, and hasn't shown a single sign of illness or falter so I'm at a total loss for why she was fine last night and today she's gone and this has gone for all of my previous losses.

I do a 30-35% water change every single week using the exact same chemicals in exact same amounts and siphon the gravel. Every two weeks I ring out the sponge that carries the filter media and rinse the filter media as well. I also DO NOT OVERFEED MY FISH. I have a remainder of four fish now (two guppies, two glofish tetras) and my research shows that under good care guppies and tetras should live AT LEAST a year OR MORE. So what can I do? If all of my fish keep dying and dying in the exact same manner as the previous fish and I can't find the root cause then I feel I'm just murdering them if I can't even keep them alive or figure out the exact cause.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Death in a day with no previous symptoms says columnaris to me .
Read this link and see if one of strains match up..
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrBTz...PGXuplrHjzKfA-

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can you tell me more and give advice on it?! I’m doing my research as best as I can and even though I know situations vary, Columnaris usually has physical signs according to my reading so far. None of my fish have shown a single physical sign after death. I’ve taken a pretty decent look at them after they’re deceased and they literally just look like a dead fish. So I’m confused.

I want this hobby to work. ☹️ I actually had a few good 3 or so months where not a single death occurred and now I’m left with am emptying tank.

Edit: Sorry, I didn’t see the link you posted at first. It’s so very hard to make a determination since no physical signs show up - before or after death. I just know I need to do something before I lose my remaining fish. 3 of the 4 I’ve had from the get-go and I’ve already felt like I’ve failed.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is my next go to link for columnaris.
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVxT...sqXY7FYfL9YN4-
I will add that recommended treatment [kanamycin and furan 2 used together ] cure many bacterial issues so the exact diagnosis is not always needed..
Old 01-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you. Do you think a proper aquarium salt solution will be enough or should I invest in an actual medicated treatment?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Go with medicine . I am all against salt [use NONE ] and consider columnaris the fish equivalent of our flu.. It unlike the flu is usually a death sentence for most fish. If any fish show the signs [separation ,hovering in one unlikely place ] I would euthanize them as part of treatment..
Many consider columnaris the worst 'commonly occurring issue ' they have ever dealt with, and success is highly unlikely for an individual fishes recovery.
IMO you are not trying to save individual fish but more so the tank now...
If this pathogen is allowed to exist you will never be able to keep fish in the tank for any period of time that is appreciated..
Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like shock.how do you rinse the filter and media? Every 2 wks is too soon. Imo.. And if your completed cleaning it, might be putting them into shock.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was about to ask about the filter media as well. Never rinse in tap water as you'll kill all the good bacteria. Simply rinse it out in a bucket of tank water. You might be starting the cycle over every time if you are rinsing it in tap.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie1 View Post
I was about to ask about the filter media as well. Never rinse in tap water as you'll kill all the good bacteria. Simply rinse it out in a bucket of tank water. You might be starting the cycle over every time if you are rinsing it in tap.
Exactly
Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I never rinse my filter media in tap water,. I rinse it in used aquarium water. I’m hope I’m not that stupid, lol. I also never rinse my aquarium decor in tap water either.

Coralbandit, would you mind providing a link to good and legitimate medication? Thank you.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish, symptoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com