FISH KEEPS THE BOTTOM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MADELEIN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I recently bought two fantails and later added two black moors. The black moors have now started to behave strangly. They look like they are "falling asleep". they then float to the bottom and after a while swim around a bit then return to the bottom. It is a bit hot here these days, but not excesively.

Is there some one who can give me some advise?

Hi Madelein,

Welcome to the wonderful world of keeping fish! :D

First off, how big is your tank? How long has it been up and running? When was the last time you did a water change? What is your water temp at? And what are your Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte levels? Sorry for all the questions, but we all need to know this to determine what your problem is.

But for now I'm gonna take some guesses. Goldfish create a lot of waste and with your four, I'm guessing they are suffering from high levels of ammonia and lacking O2, especially if your water is too warm. Oxygen is depleted when your temp get's too high. HTH for now.

I would suggest you do an immediate water change. If your water is too warm, you can put some ice cubes in a baggie and float it in your tank to cool the water down, since they do like much cooler water.

Hi,

Since yesterday the one fish has recovered. Only one of the black moors is affected now and none of the fantails. I do not have all the test kits yet (there is only one trusted petshop in my area and he is only getting them monthend) so I not have all the answers. It does however seem that the fish is suffering from swimbladder. He is now floating at the top on his side or upside down. The other fish have started to nip at his fins.

As for the tank, it is a one foot tank which has been running for ± 1 month. The water is completely clear. I also did a water change last night and I did lower the water temp with a bag of ice cubes. However this did not help this poor fish. I now have him isolated in a separate tank as I do not want the other fish adding to his stress.

Please let me know how the cope with swimbladder or if you think it might be something else.

Another thing I am thinking of starting up a tropical tank as well monthend what would you suggest I start with?

Madelein,

As for the tank, it is a one foot tank which has been running for ± 1 month.

It sounds like you have a small tank housing 4 goldfish while trying to cycle. Your 4 fish need to be in a much larger tank. IMO, until you know what your water readings are, I would feed them only once a day, with 10% water changes everyday.

As for getting your tropical tank, I would recommend that you get the biggest tank you can afford. At least a 20 gallon. And I would recommend that you research about the Nitrogen Cycle. If you have any questions, come post them here.

I don't have a lot of experience with goldfish, but I do have a great article that a good friend wrote that might help you out.
SWIMBLADDER DISORDERS

Caused by:

Various factors including temperature changes, although other factors, such as microbial infection may be involved in some instances.

Obvious Symptoms:

Although an infected fish usually appears in reasonable condition, it experiences difficulty in maintaining its position in the water. It may show a list to one side, for example, or even float on its side or back at the water surface or remain sunk on the bottom of the tank or pond.

Occurrence of the Disease;

Simmbladder disorders may occur in a variety of situations, often spontaneously in previously healthy stock. Other fish in the same pond or aquarium may remain unaffected. Certain Fancy varieties of goldfish, such as moors, veiltails and orandas, are particularly prone to this condition and often have misshapen swimbladders.

Treatment and Control:

Since the exact causes of this problem are poorly understood, recommending a reliable treatment is difficult. Air-gulping occurs when fish feed greedily at the surface and suck in air with the food. One solution is to briefly hold the food just beneath the water surface so it quickly sinks when released and has to be eaten in midwater. If the buoyancy problem is not due to air-gulping, then it could be a more serious condition affecting the swimbladder. Try moving the fish to shallow water, say 13cm (5in.) depth. In the case of goldfish and other coldwater fish, slowly increasing the water temperature by 5C (9F) sometimes brings about an improvement. Dosing the tank with an antibacterial remedy and/or aquarium salt (up to 1 gm of salt per litre, assuming the fish are salt tolerant) may be effective in some cases. Despite attempts at treatment many cases of swimbladder problem fail to improve. If the affected fish seems very distressed or is unwilling or unable to feed then it might be kinder to put it down.

Thanx for the info however the fish died yesterday while I was at work.

As for the other goldfish I am keeping a close eye on them. They are still small I would say approx 2 inches each. I will look into getting a bigger tank asap.

Thanx a lot.

Get a outdoor pond or something. Goldfish grow relatively fast and adults require at least 10 gal per fish with very good filtration. You need a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom