Fish Laying At The Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimgate

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just switched my three fish over to a 20 gallon tank and the bigger of the three fish was just laying at bottom in a corner. Is this because they are just getting use to the tank?

:welcome: to AA! :)
Is the tank cycled?
What is your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
What kind of fish are they?
How did you acclimate them (add them to the tank?)

bruinsbro1997 said:
:welcome: to AA! :)
Is the tank cycled?
What is your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?
What kind of fish are they?
How did you acclimate them (add them to the tank?)

Thanks!!!

Yes the tank is cycled, Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 5 ppm they are 2 red cap Oranda's and one comet I think it is. I put each in a plastic bag and let it float in the tank for 15 mins then releases them into the new tank.

The problem is your acclimation method. Floating the bag for 15 minutes and dumping them in doesn't do anything. Once you open the bag, you need to add in water slowly an gradually from your tank into the bag as they get used to it over the course of 1/2-1 hour. They are probably in shock right now from so drastic a change.

Also, hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but a 20 gallon is bare minimum for one fancy goldfish. The other two will need to go.

What kind of filtration do you have?

Moving is stressful, so hopefully it's just that. Not much you can do for him at this point except wait anyway.

I will defiantly keep that in mind. Thanks cross fingers and hope for the best. I have an under-gravel filter as well as an Aqueon quiet filter.

Swimgate said:
I will defiantly keep that in mind. Thanks cross fingers and hope for the best. I have an under-gravel filter as well as an Aqueon quiet filter.

What is the Aquaeon filter rated for, as in how many gallons?

Swimgate said:
10-20 gallons

Uh-oh. :(

Again, hate to be bearer of bad news, but goldfish have massive bioloads, as in waste. They have no stomachs so they poop A LOT. For your tank I would get a filter rated for 70-110 gallons because of all the poop three goldfish produce. AquaClear filters are good.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Uh-oh. :(

Again, hate to be bearer of bad news, but goldfish have massive bioloads, as in waste. They have no stomachs so they poop A LOT. For your tank I would get a filter rated for 70-110 gallons because of all the poop three goldfish produce. AquaClear filters are good.

Goldfish are so much work!! Thanks for the info I will def have to implement some changes.

Just to let u know u r Gona need a bigger filter bc I had the same acquion filter for my 20 high and it sucked and u have 3 gold fish in a 20g u have your work cut out for u

Back
Top Bottom