Fish meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If you could only store 3 fish meds ( not including salt). What 3 would you have stocked away for emergencies?

I think it's going to depend where you are. I'd have a bactericide, fungicide and one for parasites.

Edit - actually I know off thread topic but I'd rather have a QT, know what meds my store has/hasn't and complete water test kit.

Last edited:
Thanks, Delapool, can you name the top 2 or 3 you would pick?

I've got the test kit, use it constantly. I've got a fresh unopened quarantine with filter and airstone. I got paraguard and I got salt, and human controlled heater.

I was hoping to get a lead on the names of 2 more meds that I should have at home on hand.

Mom is 92 and I can only get out 4 hr per week when a hired caregiver comes over. Thus, if I find a sick fish on Thursday, I might not be able to get to the store until following Wednesday when she comes.

So, without spending too much money, I wanted to have a few meds " just in case".

Thanks, Delapool, can you name the top 2 or 3 you would pick?

I've got the test kit, use it constantly. I've got a fresh unopened quarantine with filter and airstone. I got paraguard and I got salt, and human controlled heater.

I was hoping to get a lead on the names of 2 more meds that I should have at home on hand.

Mom is 92 and I can only get out 4 hr per week when a hired caregiver comes over. Thus, if I find a sick fish on Thursday, I might not be able to get to the store until following Wednesday when she comes.

So, without spending too much money, I wanted to have a few meds " just in case".

Seachem(?) paraguard I think a useful choice as it covers fungal and ich. I've got something similar as a general cure. Not sure how well it goes with bacterial / viral after reading the website.

The options here are pretty limited. I have found I can get some stuff posted.

Melafix - pretty cheap here antibacterial and I'm starting to get a bit more respect for that it can be useful in mild cases. Say the fish gets sucked up the gravel vac and is looking a bit off. Pimafix I still don't find useful and have killed otherwise healthy fish with it. Could just be me :)

The third, hmmm, I don't have a lot of trouble with parasites so it would be a strong anti-bacterial. But some have use by dates. This one depends where you are I think.

1. Kanamycin- Antibiotic
2. Methylene Blue- Antimicrobial/Anti-fungus
3. Malachite Green- Anti-fungus/protozoan parasite

And sea salt.
Sea salt alone will kill Bacterial infections.
At fish farms they often mix seawater with their freshwater, especially for livebearers and fry.

1. Kanamycin- Antibiotic

And sea salt.
At fish farms they often mix seawater with their freshwater, especially for livebearers and fry.

+1 but depending on our fish might consider metro as an antibiotic if you have discus or angelfish

Salt can even deal with parasites. Don't underestimate the power of simple salt and many many water changes. If you are really in a bind it can do amazing things. I have healed severe amonia burns, fin rot and brought a discus back from the brink of death (nearly died in shipping and horribly diseased when it arrived) Just from a small QT tank with loads of water changes and salt till I could make the 100 mile drive to buy antibiotics...then added antibiotics and kept up with water changes (4 times a day) and salt. It became a healthy and happy fish after that.

1. - Kanamycin Antibiotic

And sea salt.

Can you buy MB and MG by themselves there? It's all pre-mixed, general cure stuff here.

Thank you all! I almost bought Malachite green today. Wish I saw the post b4 I went to the store. I bought the Metafix already. Next Wednesday I'll get the other meds. Thanks!!!

Yes I can buy MB and Or MG for 6 dollars here. I know the people that work there, use to sell them guppies.

Back
Top Bottom