fish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parasoks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a 30 gallon tank with 6 zebra danios and 2 Red Fire Dwarf Gouramis. the gouramis are new. when i feed the fish the danios quickly eat up everything before the gouramis have a chance. i'm concerned the gourami are going to starve :cry:

Try to put some food in one end of the tank for the danios and then while they are eating, try to put food at the other end for the gouramis.

Danios are very active and greedy eaters, unlike the gouramis. They are slow. Maybe they will realize that they have to be more aggressive to get food.

What kind of food are you feeding them?

If you gouramis aren't at the top at feeding time, you could try some slow sinking granule food.

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Tostada! :n00b:
Since the gouramis are new, they may hesitate to jump on top of the food. You will have to find a balance between the greedy eaters and the slow ones. With time they may all jump at the smell of food; however, there is a chance the gouramis will always be slower. Experiment with different foods, different placement, and veggies (there is an article on which veggies and how to serve them in the articles’ section).

Welcome to AA. I agree the fish may take some time to get used to the tank and start eating. What size tank? Definately check out Menagerie's article on feeding veggies and fruits to your fish. It's an excellent read.

you can also wait until the danio's are full and then try feeding the gouramis aftyerwards or when the lights go out, you might wanna look inot a ocuple of feeding rings

Get some tubing. PVC or aquarium tubing will work. Put the end of the tube atleast 6'' under the water, then start feeding the danios. While they are busy, put some slow sinking pellets into the tube, they will sink through the tube out the bottom end where the gouramis can get to them untouched.

a trick i do, (i crumble the big flakes, half my fish are small) put them in the tank, then stir up the flakes with a finger or spoon, and half the flakes end up slowly sinking, while the other half stays at the top, both fish get a shot at the food

Back
Top Bottom