Fish Poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw and article on line a few weeks back that described different types of fish poo and the likely causes of each. I have been doing so much research and reading I cannot find it again. Has anybody seen this? Where is it?

That was the article I saw. I didn't realize at the time it was for goldfish. Does any of this apply to tropicals?

I suppose that some would apply to tropicals. Although JoAnn (the Goldfish guru) wrote the article specifically in reference to Goldfish.

There are some major differences in a regular fish's gut vs a fancy goldfish. The fancy goldfish's gut is very much shorter and squashed due to breeding selection for the body shape, so they have special considerations as far as feeding & pooping goes. Eg. A goldfish's poop comes out almost immediately (maybe a few minutes) after eating. So what you see in the poop reflects the current meal. Whereas in tropicals, the poop might be a result of foods eaten days ago.

Also, the appearance of egg sac & reabsorbed egg is pretty goldfish specific.

However, things like thin white poop being indicative of internal infection (or parasites) or bloody diarrhea being bad is pretty universal.

Back
Top Bottom