Fish randomly spazzed out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinnmquinn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got two opaline gouramis in my cycled 29 gallon yesterday, drop acclimated them,all is well. I just feed them and the littler one darts across the tank several times running into the walls, then stopped and her colors darkened. What's wrong

Sent from my PG86100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got two opaline gouramis in my cycled 29 gallon yesterday, drop acclimated them,all is well. I just feed them and the littler one darts across the tank several times running into the walls, then stopped and her colors darkened. What's wrong

Do you have a breeding pair? Are there any others in the tank? Maybe she's scared of the male or is just confused in the new aquarium. My first fish did that too:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Well I don't plan on them breeding, but yes it's a boy and girl. They are accompanied by a small school of neon tetras.

Well I don't plan on them breeding, but yes it's a boy and girl. They are accompanied by a small school of neon tetras.

Then the female might be a bit scared of the male because he'll definitely try to breed:p Gourami babies are really cute too:)

Or sometimes it's just the fish overwhelmed by the tank, my gouramis did that for an hour or two and then went under the logs and explored:p

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Ok thank you, I'll keep an eye on them, what would "courting behavior" be for these guys?

Ok thank you, I'll keep an eye on them, what would "courting behavior" be for these guys?

Well, guessing that they came from the same tank the male and female are probably used to each other. If not, they will be soon. The male WILL chase the female if he wants to mate(that's almost certain) and nudge her belly sometimes, flaring his fins. Note: when he wants to mate the male will create his bubble nest so that's the heads up:) He will attempt to bring her close to his 'nest' and if the female agrees to spawn, she will swim under the bubble nest. When she is ready to let out the eggs, she might touch the male's back. Then they'll mate and the male will place the eggs into the bubble best with his mouth. They may spawn again, leave them about four or five hours to do that. There can be up to 600 eggs but I've heard of 800 too:)

VERY IMPORTANT: Move the gouramis into a breeding tank and put the female in first. The eggs will hatch in 12-24 hours and the fry will stay inside the bubble nest for another approximate 3 days until they begin swimming again. Be careful not to harm or disturb the bubble nest when putting them back in the main tank:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom