Fish rubbing sides on rocks, no signs of ich, what can it be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmy420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have:
4 bronze corydora's
3 spotted corydora's
2 unknown cordora's
2 gold white mountain cloud minnows
4 giant danios
and 1 pleco

All of them but the placo flash on the rocks... The corydoras do it rarely, the danios only do it a little, and the gwc minnows do it a lot...

They dont have white spots what so ever on them... Someone told me it could be chlorine or ammonia?

Anyone have any thoughts? I put salt in my fish tank and raised the temps, also lowered the water A LOT so my 2 penguin filters would make a lot of air in there for the minnows since it would be so hot...

I think I have a decent ammount of bubbles at the top of the water that are just now starting to disapear, I dont know if its because the water is so low or what, but I heard bubbles could be ammonia... There wasnt ALOT of bubbles though.

Thats just it.. dont have test kits for that... I am gunna get them very soon but im stuck for a week without getting them (I get paid every 2 weeks)..

I would do a water change just in case then. How long has your tank been set up for? It is most likely water conditions causing it.

about 4 months, maybe 5... All the fish been doing just fine not one died or got sick for that amount of time. I had a red belly pacu in my tank (I didnt know they get so big, the guy told me they get as big as a silver dollar!) and he even used to scratch his sides, and this was in another tank before this one. I think its my tap water, maybe could be something im doing wrong, i dunno..

Until you can get your test kit, go to the lfs with a sample of your water. It could be high levels of ammonia. If it is, water changes are needed. The temp and tank size is also needed.

30 gallon long
usually kept at about 75 (now at 82 and the highest it will go without it being constantly on)
penguin 170 (50 gal filter bio wheel)
penguin mini

Also I would like to add that 1 of my bronze corydoras is really fat... any ideas about that? It seems like he was fatter yesterday and may be getting better.

Back
Top Bottom