Fish scared of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys I was just looking in my tank and one of the anglefish was chasing the other Angel fish what could I do (other than buying another Angel) to stop it from doing that to the other fish

Chasing and bullying is what cichlids do. If you don't want to dilute the agression buy adding additional Angels, then change up your aquascape. Move the rocks, plants and driftwood to create additional safe spots and breakup the line of sight.

I went out today and got another Angel it's a little bigger but I also got 3 albino corydoras and they are breaking the angels up so that s good

Sorry I'm asking so many questions today but I just went up to look at my aquarium and I noticed the slightly bigger anglefish is scaring away the smaller Angel fishes (so the 1 big one is scaring the 2 smaller ones) is this ok or should I do something about it. Again sorry for asking so much today thanks

Most ornamental fish are raised at large commercial farms, usually in mud bottom holding ponds. I would venture to say that the majority of those ponds range from a neutral ph to 8.5. unless your fish are wild caught, or from a private breeder who uses soft acidic water, chances are your fish will survive.
The water in my area is hard with a ph of 8.0 -8.2. I've kept Discus, tetras, barbs and cichlids with no water related problems.

As noted previously, chasing and bullying is what cichlids do. The big Angel is just trying to establish himself as tank boss. They will form a pecking order. Might just turn the lights off for the night. That might slow the action down.
Don't apologize for asking questions.

As noted previously, chasing and bullying is what cichlids do. The big Angel is just trying to establish himself as tank boss. They will form a pecking order. Might just turn the lights off for the night. That might slow the action down.
Don't apologize for asking questions.
Thanks I was really worried about that

Hi guys recently I've been noticing that my anglefish will stick their mouthed at a 90 degree angle to the surface of the water is this ok

OMG Connor Have you got your water parameters test kit? Have you tested the water? Have you done any other research on how to get the aquarium cycled? Are you doing water changes? People cannot help you very much if you do not provide that information...

I've tested the water multiple times everything is normal (I can't give u exact numbers ) but chlorine was 0 ph was 7 and the alkalinity was around 120 and I've been using water conditioner and seed bacteria to get the tank cycled

I've tested the water multiple times everything is normal (I can't give u exact numbers ) but chlorine was 0 ph was 7 and the alkalinity was around 120 and I've been using water conditioner and seed bacteria to get the tank cycled

In freshwater you need to test for ammonia nitrites nitrates and ph with an api master kit. I am not sure what you are testing but may be someone else can help you. Well I hope they do very good and you enjoy them!

Guys I just noticed that the older bigger anglefish is eating a lot but the smaller Angel fish and the catfish are not eating that much is that normal?

Guys I just noticed that the older bigger anglefish is eating a lot but the smaller Angel fish and the catfish are not eating that much is that normal?

You just began a "fish in cycle" 3 days ago, and then added more fish after we said you shouldn't.... My guess is they are incredibly stressed out. If they aren't eating it usually is not a good sign.

Are you performing water changes? if so how?

Do you have a way of testing nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, and temperature?

Are the fish's gills red and slightly opened?

Whats the total stock?

Whats your filtration?

Size of heater?

Size of tank?

You just began a "fish in cycle" 3 days ago, and then added more fish after we said you shouldn't.... My guess is they are incredibly stressed out. If they aren't eating it usually is not a good sign.

Are you performing water changes? if so how?

Do you have a way of testing nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, and temperature?

Are the fish's gills red and slightly opened?

Whats the total stock?

Whats your filtration?

Size of heater?

Size of tank?
I began the cycle last week on Wednesday (sorry if I didn't make that clear) I've been adding the chemicals since that day too it's a 20g tank with a heater preset to 78 (and I can't change it) also I cannot tell you the specific motor now but it came with the kit and is workingg well cause when I went into the store and got the water tested on 3 separate times they said the water was normal and they did the test with the files not the strip and to specify on the fish not eating they come to the top well at least the angels do and look at the food they just don't eat it I don't know if it is a matter of the size of the food or what and the corydoras are apparently known to eat the stuff off the bottom and I see them poking their noses around the bottom all the time if their not sleeping

I began the cycle last week on Wednesday (sorry if I didn't make that clear) I've been adding the chemicals since that day too it's a 20g tank with a heater preset to 78 (and I can't change it) also I cannot tell you the specific motor now but it came with the kit and is workingg well cause when I went into the store and got the water tested on 3 separate times they said the water was normal and they did the test with the files not the strip and to specify on the fish not eating they come to the top well at least the angels do and look at the food they just don't eat it I don't know if it is a matter of the size of the food or what and the corydoras are apparently known to eat the stuff off the bottom and I see them poking their noses around the bottom all the time if their not sleeping

What is your total number of fish in the tank? What exactly do you have in the tank?

Usually when pet stores say the water is "normal" that doesn't mean much if anything at all. Did they give you a little "score card" to go with your water test?

I have 3 angels 2 black and one marble which is slightly bigger than the black ones and 3 albino corydoras all young when I went to the store they didn't give me a card or anything they just said the water was good and told me about how they treat their water since we r in the same county they also showed me how they checked it and what they showed me looked pretty good

Are you performing water changes? If so how often and how much?
Ive been doing 1/3rd every week but I have a bubble wall in the back to make sure the water is moving enough the only reason y I don't change it more often is because I saw that the mote you change the water the longer it takes for the water to cycle but the fish look fine not looking any funky colors or behaving that strangly I found out that is is normal for the catfish to sleep a lot so the only weird thing is the Angel fish going to the top

Back
Top Bottom