Fish scratching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iv had several different fish in this tank and they all start scratching almost instantly. Some will stop for a few days and start again. What could this be? And how can I treat it to have a healthy tank? Need help because this has been going on awhile and want to get my tank back to normal

NativeTank7 said:
Iv had several different fish in this tank and they all start scratching almost instantly. Some will stop for a few days and start again. What could this be? And how can I treat it to have a healthy tank? Need help because this has been going on awhile and want to get my tank back to normal

Do they look like they have been rolled in salt / white spots everywhere and what are your parameters

vance1013 said:
Do they look like they have been rolled in salt / white spots everywhere and what are your parameters

No they don't have ich not that I know of. Not sure what the parameters are I gotta go get more kits tomorrow. What could it be?

NativeTank7 said:
No they don't have ich not that I know of. Not sure what the parameters are I gotta go get more kits tomorrow. What could it be?

Hmm i dont know what it could be i havent dealt with something like this

They could be flashing. Its usually do to parameters out of wack...i.e. Hardness, PH. The waters uncomfortable to them and irritating their skin. Anyone feel free to correct me if they feel this is wrong!

RedNeck said:
They could be flashing. Its usually do to parameters out of wack...i.e. Hardness, PH. The waters uncomfortable to them and irritating their skin. Anyone feel free to correct me if they feel this is wrong!

Could it be deadly or just something that could be tweaked. At first I thought it was internal parasites and treated for it and didn't help so the ph sounds about right. Iv never really tested the water so it's probably right

NativeTank7 said:
Could it be deadly or just something that could be tweaked. At first I thought it was internal parasites and treated for it and didn't help so the ph sounds about right. Iv never really tested the water so it's probably right

How long has your tank been up and running?

First I would start by testing the water. Get a API master kit and let us know the results. What kind of fish are you keeping?

RedNeck said:
First I would start by testing the water. Get a API master kit and let us know the results. What kind of fish are you keeping?

Yea im gonna try and go tomorrow and pick one up and update it. It's been up for 7 months. Iv currently got 2 baby bluegill but have every native fish in North America lol

RedNeck said:

Okay the test says my water in the aquarium has 0 GH 0 KH 6.0 PH No2 0 No3 20

That ph seems low. I do not know a whole lot about native species though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

RedNeck said:
That ph seems low. I do not know a whole lot about native species though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Yea that's what I thought too. Is too low of a ph something to worry about? Someone told me to hold my water a few days before putting it into the tank. Not sure what that's about

NativeTank7 said:
Yea that's what I thought too. Is too low of a ph something to worry about? Someone told me to hold my water a few days before putting it into the tank. Not sure what that's about

A low Ph can cause your cycle to go out of whack or stall. You don't need to set your water out it your using a good water conditioner. I use buckets for my 10g tanks, running the new water right before I syphon & vac. For my 46 g I use a python water changer which puts the tap water directly I to the tank from the faucet.

Rlavassor86 said:
With your Kh at 0 your ph will swing up and down in far to great increments so its probably stressing the fish.

Maybe I did the test wrong idk iv never really checked water before but gonna do a water change after work and update and see what it is

Back
Top Bottom