Fish seem to be loosing there swim bladder??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Typow07

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon tank that I set up for a goldfish around a month back. After no more than 2 weeks he could not swim or float anymore he sunk straight to the bottom. He passed away I figured he was getting old. I cleaned the aquarium and have been using it as a holding tank for my many many baby guppies. I bought a Oscar the other day to assist my baby guppies and be somewhat of a baby sitter ;). But now the same thing has happened to him he seemed to have lost his balance and cannot swim or float. Please help! Last night he jumped out of the aquarium and I found him on the floor. He must had been pretty bad off to JUMP out!

You aren't cycled
Oscars need a 75 gal tank minimum and they get huge
He won't be assisting your guppies anytime soon- he will be eating them

Hi
I am sorry to hear about your struggles! I love my goldfish too.
(Just an FYI your Oscar will need a 75 gallon tank).

Toxins or infections could be involved here. Please start off by testing your water and posting your exact results for:
-nitrate
-nitrite
-ammonia

Also, what is your water change routine?

In the meantime, an immediate pwc of 30-50% is a good idea. Try to keep the action minimal as I know our cichlid gets stressed by massive tank work.

Edit: I was typing this and missed emerald's post. She is 100% right.

I was kidding about assisting them ... I want them eaten. I'm in the process of getting a bigger thank also. Thank you in will check the water conditions

Typow07 said:
I was kidding about assisting them ... I want them eaten. I'm in the process of getting a bigger thank also. Thank you in will check the water conditions

Awesome! We do the same thing with our fry at times. Can't let the guppies poison their tank with overpopulation. :)
Our boy is an ebjd.

Mr Oscar... Well jumped out last night. I am working on building a lid today. Going to the store to get a new grow light. My 55g has become pretty self sustainable now. I am going to plant my 30g until I can get a bigger tank hopefully soon. I recently lost my license due to medical reasons. So here I come aquarium gurus!!

i have to disagree with thease guys about needing a 75g, if u want a single oscar then a 55 is ok honestly what oscars want is length and a 55 and a 75 are the same length. if i where to do oscars again i think a 6ft tank that is 1.5 foot deep is the way to go. not many of em got to be much over a foot long but some do so prolly better to have too much space then not enough. which i suppose then rules out 55g aswell......so i agree with thease guys

daveho said:
i have to disagree with thease guys about needing a 75g, if u want a single oscar then a 55 is ok honestly what oscars want is length and a 55 and a 75 are the same length. if i where to do oscars again i think a 6ft tank that is 1.5 foot deep is the way to go. not many of em got to be much over a foot long but some do so prolly better to have too much space then not enough. which i suppose then rules out 55g aswell......so i agree with thease guys

My thoughts exactly on why I said 75! ;) purely for turning.

I think its 18" tall 12" wide and 48" long. Or somewhere in there lol. Its definitely a 55g

I just bought a master test kit today and checked both of my tanks water qualities. The ammonia and nitrate level were both at o ppm the nitrite was at 160ppm, it was dark red. The other was light blue, I may have the two backwards.

Typow07 said:
I just bought a master test kit today and checked both of my tanks water qualities. The ammonia and nitrate level were both at o ppm the nitrite was at 160ppm, it was dark red. The other was light blue, I may have the two backwards.

Ok, to get nitrates down do pwcs. You will do well to test every day and do another pwc. Post results here to get any troubleshooting needed.
I am going on vacation but will try to check in. Jlk is very good with this process. Send her a pm for help if you are not getting responses, ok?

daveho said:

an oscar can only be in a habitat that is big enough or more than enough a 55g is ok until he gets bigger no more than 7"

Back
Top Bottom