Fish Treatment Advise: white cotton fungus and / or ick.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well off to a bad start with the new tank here's the story:

Yesterday morning my 1 sword had a funny looking eye. Tested water (ammonia 0 / nitrites 0 / nitrates 0/ etc...) When I got home his eye was covered over with white fuzz. Second sword that matches had patches as well. So placed the two in QT. This morning in the main tank the 5 juvenile guppies I have started flashing while I was watching them the single remaining sword may/may not have a tiny spot on his back fin.

When I netted the sword the patch on his side fell off. It looked a little cottony. If I remove the guppies and the remaining sword do I still have to treat the tank that is empty? I obviously want to treat in QT so that it is a smaller space but want to make sure I do the right thing with the big tank.

The pigmy's seem unaffected.

Doesn't sound like ich. Sounds fungal or bacterial.
These may help--
Freshwater Diagnostic Charts:
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm
http://www.clubjungle.com/fish_chart.pdf

I would treat all the fish in QT that are currently affected. The pygmies may never come down with it--they were in the LFS for a long time and may have better immune systems. (Plus good luck netting the little guys :wink: )

Definitely find out what is causing the illness of the other tank before treating anyone. High heat/low heat/improper meds may worsen the problem (as I found out too late for my Badis).

Fuzzy White Growths or Tufts of Cotton on Fish :

says treat this way:

• Seproleghis • All Fish • Super suira
• Wound Control
• Dip-A-Way
• Super Fungus (as FoIlow-Up)
• Intensive Care During Treatment
• Flukes Control

any particular one work better than the other? 'only' six to choose from YIKES

I haven't used any of these. That's six to choose from if you can find all of them :)
Someone with experience will pop in eventually.

I've had excellent results with Maracyn (by Mardel) and it's readily available. One tab per 10 gallons for five days- remove carbon from the filter if it's less than 7 days old, otherwise no need to remove the carbon. Water change after the five day treatment. . .

I've had excellent results with Maracyn (by Mardel) and it's readily available. One tab per 10 gallons for five days- remove carbon from the filter if it's less than 7 days old, otherwise no need to remove the carbon. Water change after the five day treatment. . .

I thought you weren't treating your whole tank?
The pygmies should be fine. However, if you are treating the whole tank, I would remove the pygmies to QT and not treat them unless they show signs of illness. I don't like to treat fish that are well.

What I ended up doing was treating the 2 swords that I removed in QT. They are in rough shape to be honest. :( intresting that it was the same 2 that match and the 3rd that did not match is fine. Purhaps they were weak fish to begin with.. ?

I have a close eye on the rest of them that stayed behind. They seem to be doing fine.. I think I may have been freaking out thinking one of my guppys was flashing. I haven't seen any of them do it since. The remaining sword and guppys look fine so far... as do the pigmy's.

Back
Top Bottom