Fish wipe out help needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I moved the convict into a separate tank and today I bought two botias and they both died in hours and on top of that I had my last rasorba and platy die too but yet my two old angels live . I did a 30 percent water change and am waiting to check my parameters again .
In two years my tank has been perfect and now crap.
Gonna check my water supply maybe the city is tinkering with the water supply .
Maybe I better do a complete filter clean.
I am at my wits end and need help!

I moved the convict into a separate tank and today I bought two botias and they both died in hours and on top of that I had my last rasorba and platy die too but yet my two old angels live . I did a 30 percent water change and am waiting to check my parameters again .
In two years my tank has been perfect and now crap.
Gonna check my water supply maybe the city is tinkering with the water supply .
Maybe I better do a complete filter clean.
I am at my wits end and need help!

Well you could buy spring water from walmart its like 38 cents a gallon to refil the jugs. I would'nt buy any new fish until you get stuff stabilized.

What are your tank parameters? If you still have high ammonia then that is why your fish are dying. Depending on how high your ammonia is you need to do bigger water changes probably everyday.

What are your tank parameters? If you still have high ammonia then that is why your fish are dying. Depending on how high your ammonia is you need to do bigger water changes probably everyday.

I will do another one tomorrow and clean my filter .my ammonia level was at
1.0 ppm how otter should I wait between changes to check levels or just to do another change?

Cleaning your filter will get rid of the beneficial bacteria that you need to eat the ammonia. Keep doing water changes till ammonia is .25 or lower. If it's 1.0, you can do two 50% changes to get it down to .25. Don't forget the dechlorinator each time. Good luck.

Cleaning your filter will get rid of the beneficial bacteria that you need to eat the ammonia. Keep doing water changes till ammonia is .25 or lower. If it's 1.0, you can do two 50% changes to get it down to .25. Don't forget the dechlorinator each time. Good luck.

I also was wondering how much gravel I should vacuum up each time?
Should I vacuum deep or will that stir up crap?
I have a planted tank.

Exactly what I would of said. I always try and get as much junk out of the gravel every time I water change. Cleaner water equals healthier fish

I tested my ammonia from my tap water and its .25 so it's A tad high.

I put stress coat in everytime I do water changes but what is the best water conditioner to put in to kill ammonia in tap water?
Also I got my ammonia down but when I did a water change yesterday and did a deep gravel clean ammonia went up again!
I guess I shouldn't do deep gravel cleans????

I tested my ammonia from my tap water and its .25 so it's A tad high.

I put stress coat in everytime I do water changes but what is the best water conditioner to put in to kill ammonia in tap water?
Also I got my ammonia down but when I did a water change yesterday and did a deep gravel clean ammonia went up again!
I guess I shouldn't do deep gravel cleans????

Seachem prime helps with ammonia

What is your Nitrate level?

You can rinse the filter pad in dechlorinated/conditioned water. But it seems lots of big water changes with vacuuming the gunk out would be advised.

Did you change your filter pad recently?

I have .25 ammonia from my tap too, very annoying!!! I use Prime water conditioner, though, so it helps with the ammonia.

When you stir up the crud from under gravel that's not been thoroughly vacuumed in a while, you have also stirred up the toxins. This is why I prefer sand. I would take out as much gravel as possible, and leave a thin layer which is easier to thoroughly clean, just to get a handle on the situation. Rinse the extra gravel in water change tank water (what comes out), do sea chem prime one cap as it goes a long way. Be sure you are not over feeding. That's what has worked for me.

When you stir up the crud from under gravel that's not been thoroughly vacuumed in a while, you have also stirred up the toxins. This is why I prefer sand. I would take out as much gravel as possible, and leave a thin layer which is easier to thoroughly clean, just to get a handle on the situation. Rinse the extra gravel in water change tank water (what comes out), do sea chem prime one cap as it goes a long way. Be sure you are not over feeding. That's what has worked for me.

Can you overdose with prime ?

Not to my knowledge. In an emergency you can dose x 5 capfuls. Any more is just wasteful. As was said earlier... keep up the water changes, get all the crud out of gravel even if it leaves a bare bottom... just until the ammonia is under control. You are on the right track, just do what they are telling you here and it will get better. Even if you end up starting again from scratch, you've at least added to your arsenal of experience and knowledge.

Thanks for your help. I did a 50percent change with like top gravel vacuum and the 2 koi angelfish are doing better .
Have to check the levels tonight.
I use the API liquid testers and wondering if there is better ones?
One thing I have learned is that angelfish are the strongest fish to live through this type of problem.
Looking to maybe get seachem purigen for the future .
This had been all ammonia problems since all the plant algae has disapeared.
Guess I am cycling again.

Back
Top Bottom