Fish with ick and rotted fins in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniper187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I currently have a 37 gallon tank with 24 fish in it. 4 fish have ick and 2 have rotted fins. I removed the 4 fish with ick in my tank and placed them In a 5 gallon "hospital" tank. I added ick medicine, removed filter, and raised heat to 82 degrees. The reason I put them in a separate tank is cus I noticed the ick on them right way and thought maybe that was best. I also just purchased 4 fish last week and noticed my other fish got ick cus of that. Is what I'm doing right? Any other suggestions of what I should do? And what should I do or purchase for the 2 fish who have rotted fins? Someone please help. Thanks :) any advice would be great fully appreciated.

Keep the water really clean for the fin rot.
As for the ich it has infected both tanks now. The ich will be in the substrate, water and on the fish. Raise the heat up to 86-88F and increase aeration. Keep it up until the last spot is seen on the last fish in both tanks. That way you will know its gone. The medication isn't needed.

I have air pumping into tank. That the same? Sorry I'm new to this lol

I have air pumping into tank. That the same? Sorry I'm new to this lol

Sounds like you're running an airstone ... Yes that'll work for the additional aeration ... You'll need it as water 88F will hold less oxygen than normal tank temps.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yes that's the same. What happens is, creating more water movement on the surface of the water promotes the exchange of oxygen into the water. That's a good thing when you turn the temp up to treat ich because warmer water holds less oxygen.
Here is an article on ich.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

Thank you very much

I have heat set to 84 now and my oxygen is full blast. Now noticing my fish are acting weird. Some stay at bottom to scratch themselves (which I know why), others float at top (which seem stressed and look like the cant breathe and I don't know why), and while others are super aggressive (which I dunno why).

Your thoughts please :p

So I jacked up the heat to 84 and air pump is cranked up lol

Now my fish are acting weird

Some stay at bottom which scratch themselves

Others float at top and look like there coming up for air or something

Others are super aggressive which were never like that

Do u have any idea why?

My pleco just swam to top real fast and seemed to get air

Something wrong?

Make sure you don't increase the temp too fast and you get it at or over 86F. The increase in activity is normal. The higher heat will increase the fish's metabolism. This can cause more erratic behavior. Plecos and other cat fish occasionally go to the surface to gulp air. That's normal also. The ich might show up on other fish and get worse on the infected in the next few days. That's because the ich's life cycle has been sped up. It always gets worse before it gets better. Unless the fish appear to be listless, gasping or not acting right, they are fine.

Mumma.of.two said:
Make sure you don't increase the temp too fast and you get it at or over 86F. The increase in activity is normal. The higher heat will increase the fish's metabolism. This can cause more erratic behavior. Plecos and other cat fish occasionally go to the surface to gulp air. That's normal also. The ich might show up on other fish and get worse on the infected in the next few days. That's because the ich's life cycle has been sped up. It always gets worse before it gets better. Unless the fish appear to be listless, gasping or not acting right, they are fine.

My plates are gasping :(

I'm expecting lots of deaths soon :(

I did one yesterday. About 20%. I try to do it everyone week. If not then the week after.

I also have lots of red stringing poop at the bottom of my tank right now. That good or bad?

Sniper187 said:
I did one yesterday. About 20%. I try to do it everyone week. If not then the week after.

I also have lots of red stringing poop at the bottom of my tank right now. That good or bad?

20% might not be cutting it. It's especially important to keep the water pristine while treating ich because the wounds where the ich leaves the fishes body can become infected. I'd up it to 50% weekly and 50% every 2-3 days while treating.

Depends. What do you feed them? Are there any red threads protruding from the fishes anus? Like worms?

Mumma.of.two said:
20% might not be cutting it. It's especially important to keep the water pristine while treating ich because the wounds where the ich leaves the fishes body can become infected. I'd up it to 50% weekly and 50% every 2-3 days while treating.

Depends. What do you feed them? Are there any red threads protruding from the fishes anus? Like worms?

Well I just started treatment tonight. What do u recommend I should do within the few days in regards to water changes and treatment?

I feed my fish tetra min tropical flakes, tetra color tropical granules and occasionally shrimp pellets and algae waffles

I try to feed em every two days

I have tetras, platys, cherry barbs, angels, some red eyes, sharks and some other fish which I don't know what they're called

I don't see any fish with red around anus. I think the red pop is coming from my plateys cus I've seen them poop red before.

Mumma.of.two said:

One platy is pooping white now hehe

Back
Top Bottom