Fish with swim bladder disorder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medicblake28

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fish that's currently been having this swim bladder disorder for the past 3 days now. Today I started trying to feed him peas, as told by the local fish store that it would help. So far no luck. Tried a garlic solution to try and stir up his appetite so well see if he tries to eat some of the smashed up peas. I was wondering if positioning the fish at the top of a plant where he can sit right side up instead of laying upside down on the gravel would help? Or maybe make it worse? Any thoughts or ideas how I can save him? I can't remember the name of the fish but iv had him several months with no issues till now. 20gal freshwater tank. Tested water with all levels being normal, water is clean and clear.

There are quite a few things we need answered in order to help you. Can you describe the fish or post a picture of him? When you say the levels are normal, can you post the exact parameters? Nitrite, nitrate and ammonia especially.

Have you added anything new to the tank? When was the last water change?

Hi zagz. I'll try and get a good photo of him and post shorty. With water testing, PH-6.0, ammonia-.25, nitrite-0,nitrate-5.0. My last water change was 6 days ago. There are 2 other fish in the tank as well with him who are doing fine with no issues.

Attachments

• image-971636959.jpg
    image-971636959.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 55
Forgot to add, only thing I added today was the garlic solution that the guys at the fish store suggested to stimulate his appetite in hopes he may eat some of the peas I put in the tank.

Hi zagz. I'll try and get a good photo of him and post shorty. With water testing, PH-6.0, ammonia-.25, nitrite-0,nitrate-5.0. My last water change was 6 days ago. There are 2 other fish in the tank as well with him who are doing fine with no issues.

That's a Monodactylus. They are brackish water fish and do far better with the addition of salt - use marine salt at a rate of around 15-20 grammes of salt per litre. Adult monos often do best in full marine set ups. Obviously, other freshwater fish will not tolerate this.

For swim bladder problems in any fish, it is often a good idea to remove the fish to a separate tank, with enough water to cover the fish in its normal swimming position. This reduces pressure on a fish and can often mean the swim bladder can return to normal (unless infection is the cause). Once the fish is swimming normally again, you can start to gradually increase the depth of the water.

Raise the salinity SLOWLY.
Do you have other salt intolerant fish?

If yes,
Transfer fish with tank water to a new tank.

mix a separate saline solution (marine salt) raise SG slow. No more than 0.001 daily.

If you plan to keep the fish get a hydrometer.

Presumably a new filter will be needed and maybe a tank. Monitor nitrogenous waste as per normal fish in cycle.

Possibly acidosis.

Back
Top Bottom