Fishes dying in my Pond. Need urgent help pls… :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maninder.vinny

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently built a pond measuring 14X4X5 ft. It's been nearly 1.5 months now I filled the pond and introduced fishes. But lately, my fishes are dying one by one every fourth or fifth day. I'm really very upset and feel like helpless to my little friends.
I added 2 normal goldfish
2 Red cap Goldfish
1 giant gourami(3 inches)
3 silver sharks
4 sharks(black catfish, named as shark)
2 black goldfish(sorry, I don't know the exact name)
3 big size carp(Koi fish)

Carps were added a month back and rest of these fishes were added 3 weeks back.
Black goldfish died the other day
Red cap died a week later
Silvers shark died too after a week
And today, the giant gourami died too :(

Note-My water has turned dark green in color(within a week after filling the pond) due to algae(single cell organisms). I read that these guys aren't harmful to fishes though.
My koi fishes seems to be fine yet as they come to the surface during feeding time. I frankly don't know how's the sharks doing in the pond, whether they still alive or dead since water is fully green and I can barely see a inch below.
I'm now worried about the koi fishes, whether they will survive or not :(

Pls pls pls help me regarding this, I'm really worried about it.
Also note that, the fish that died had their fins rotten, their body bit bruised and color was bit faded. I hope someone can find the culprit with this clue.
Every suggestion is welcomed…

Sent from my SM-N920C

Other than the ovbious, not overfeeding, keeping the water quality good, i can suggest a good antibiotic which i think you should seriously consider.
Sounds like your fish got stressed from something. I will leave it up to others to help with that, stressed fish leads to sick fish. This is good antibiotic feed. used in food fish industry. It will clear them out and well in the future at least youll have some on hand.
Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm

Other than the ovbious, not overfeeding, keeping the water quality good, i can suggest a good antibiotic which i think you should seriously consider.
Sounds like your fish got stressed from something. I will leave it up to others to help with that, stressed fish leads to sick fish. This is good antibiotic feed. used in food fish industry. It will clear them out and well in the future at least youll have some on hand.
Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
Unfortunately, it ain't available here in my city...[emoji17]
Here's the pic of my giant gourami fish that died yesterday. Hope it gives some clue…
315db3e6f57a0946f696564d9aa3e465.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C

Silver Sharks, depending on exact species are tropical. Gouramis can manage cool water, but not Cold AFAIK. I don't know your location, but unless you are in Florida...typically only Goldfish and Koi will survive outside in winter. And in some states/areas even they have to come inside.

Heavy Algae infestation can lower oxygen levels.

Test your water ASAP. Check temps, esp nighttime.

I'm using app on my phone so your location doesn't show.

Fancy Goldfish need warmer water than Koi or Comets. And I advise not mixing the two types. Fancies need sinking food only and cannot always compete with koi especially. I know there are exceptions.

Check your water. Don't add anymore fish till you understand why fish are dying. Research each species and know their Latin and common name before tossing them in !!

No more "sharks" IMHO. Every species I know are tropical.

Some Catfish are predatory and will eat your other fish once they fit in the mouth.

I'm sorry you've lost fish.

Please let us know how your water tests look.

I'm wondering if it's Ammonia, low oxygen or low temps ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver Sharks, depending on exact species are tropical. Gouramis can manage cool water, but not Cold AFAIK. I don't know your location, but unless you are in Florida...typically only Goldfish and Koi will survive outside in winter. And in some states/areas even they have to come inside.

Heavy Algae infestation can lower oxygen levels.

Test your water ASAP. Check temps, esp nighttime.

I'm using app on my phone so your location doesn't show.

Fancy Goldfish need warmer water than Koi or Comets. And I advise not mixing the two types. Fancies need sinking food only and cannot always compete with koi especially. I know there are exceptions.

Check your water. Don't add anymore fish till you understand why fish are dying. Research each species and know their Latin and common name before tossing them in !!

No more "sharks" IMHO. Every species I know are tropical.

Some Catfish are predatory and will eat your other fish once they fit in the mouth.

I'm sorry you've lost fish.

Please let us know how your water tests look.

I'm wondering if it's Ammonia, low oxygen or low temps ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks alot for your reply. I'll buy test kit soon from ebay and test the water conditions asap. I think that koi may be the culprit. It's 3X times bigger than any other fish in the pond. So may be they are bullying other fishes? Btw, I live in Varanasi, India.

Sent from my SM-N920C

What are you providing in terms of filtration and aeration? Though floating green algae is not directly harmful, they do consume oxygen at night. This can be a problem if insufficient aeration is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom