flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So what does it mean I some dish in my tank occasionally rub against rocks. There is no sign if ick, more can I see anything on any of the bodies. Its probably from putting my arms in.

Flashing can be from a lot of things. How are your levels? Ammonia,nitrites,nitrates?

Well always rinse your arms thoroughly before putting them in. Flashing can be from forgetting to add dechlorinator when you do a water change or from parasites. What fish are in the tank? Do they have clamped fins? Anything else wierd going on? Add new fish recently?

siva said:
Well always rinse your arms thoroughly before putting them in. Flashing can be from forgetting to add dechlorinator when you do a water change or from parasites. What fish are in the tank? Do they have clamped fins? Anything else wierd going on? Add new fish recently?

Levels fine.
Nothing out if the ordinary
always use dechlorinator
No new fish
No new decorations

Does it hurt to throw in some ich/parasite remover? Bases on the behavior I believe there ia just something in the water bugging them. Or there are some little parasites that are bugging a few of them. I have only seen 3 of like 12 fish do it. That's why im thinking is just an itch.

Lifeoffroad said:
Levels fine.
Nothing out if the ordinary
always use dechlorinator
No new fish
No new decorations

Does it hurt to throw in some ich/parasite remover? Bases on the behavior I believe there ia just something in the water bugging them. Or there are some little parasites that are bugging a few of them. I have only seen 3 of like 12 fish do it. That's why im thinking is just an itch.

Sorry no clamped fins either.

1 pleaco not affected
2 corys 1 affected
1 kribensis affected
1 Bolivian ram affected
2 bosemans not affected
1 neon blue rainbow not affected
1 australian rainbow not affected
1 gold gourami not affected

Physically they all look completely normal?

I wouldn't jump to meds just yet. I would start with a large water change and take it from there. A toxin may have gotten in that's bothering them.

I agree with the water change and hold off on the meds for now.

siva said:

I wouldn't jump to meds just yet. I would start with a large water change and take it from there. A toxin may have gotten in that's bothering them.

I just did that today so we will see.

siva said:

And yes physically everyone looks great. I have noticed that when I do a water change and add the dechlorenator that it looks like the dechlorenater sticks to the fish. Its hard to explain but it looks like when bubbles stick to the plants after a water change. That's how the Bolivian rams tail looked once. Like they have too much of a slime coat. Is that normal?

Lifeoffroad said:
And yes physically everyone looks great. I have noticed that when I do a water change and add the dechlorenator that it looks like the dechlorenater sticks to the fish. Its hard to explain but it looks like when bubbles stick to the plants after a water change. That's how the Bolivian rams tail looked once. Like they have too much of a slime coat. Is that normal?

I think it is a toxin in the water. I haven't seen them do it since the water change yet. The other thing I noticed is if you look just right at the top if the water you can see oil probably from my skin. I mean its not an oil slick or anything. Its just a litter layer of skin oil I believe.

Do skimmers help with that? Could frozen food chase that as well?

Lifeoffroad said:
I think it is a toxin in the water. I haven't seen them do it since the water change yet. The other thing I noticed is if you look just right at the top if the water you can see oil probably from my skin. I mean its not an oil slick or anything. Its just a litter layer of skin oil I believe.

Do skimmers help with that? Could frozen food chase that as well?

Did u have lotion or something on ur arms or hands?

Did u have lotion or something on ur arms or hands?

My young platties occasionally do that also, and I have no idea why. I'm starting to think I sometimes get hand lotion in the tank and it bothers them, so definitely something to think about

The bubble thing sounds weird, what brand dechlor. are you using?

The oily film on the top is just a protein build up and is harmless. You can lay a paper towel on top for a moment to soak some of it up. If it bothers you extra surface agitation will help.

siva said:
The bubble thing sounds weird, what brand dechlor. are you using?

The oily film on the top is just a protein build up and is harmless. You can lay a paper towel on top for a moment to soak some of it up. If it bothers you extra surface agitation will help.

I've only seen it once. It was really weird. I use API stress coat.

siva said:
Ok I wouldn't worry about that then.

Yeah I think im going to chalk this one up to something got in the water maybe and continue to monitor.

Thanks everyone. Great support.

Back
Top Bottom