flashing again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So it seems like the flashing thing goes from one fish to the next right after the last fish stops.

Right now its my angel.
I noticed my Dwarf Gourami and Angel flashed my Val after my incident with the root tabs threw off my levels. I figured this was why and after the big water changes and some stress coat/melafix (which both seem to just be tea tree oil) the DG stopped and hasnt flashed since.
Tho it seemed the Angel stopped it apepars it started again.

One thing I have noticed is I switched from just flake and worms to enriched pellets for him. At first he would spit them out but now he loves them. Thought during eating them he spits a HUGE gust of them out of his gills every time while crunching them up. Could this action be irritating his gills? Is it just coincidence? Should I stop the pellets for a bit and see if that helps or just ignore this as a possibility? Something else that bothers me is that with the plants over taking things I no longer get to vaccum the gravel as I once would and feel sometimes that that debre is polluting the water.

My water perameters are back to all zeros and the PH is the same around 7 it always was.
havent changed anything else aside the pellets.
Also worried since I have my new tanks filter cartridge in the old filter to seed that I might send something to the new tank.

I see no white spots, no red gills, no fungus or fin rot, he eats like a HORSE and is very active.

Im also leaning a bit towards stress because I have noticed him getting more territorial with the other fish. He has a corner he likes to hang where its a bit creepy as its looking DIRECTLY at us while we eat and at times if anything goes there he shoes it out.

Thinking of minimizing our load anyway so maybe that might help.

ordered some Kens medicated flakes in case and might do a PWC tonight of a few gallons just to be safe.

No melafix with dg, or any fish containing labryinth organs.. is it just the dg and angel? They could just be displaying for each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No melafix with dg, or any fish containing labryinth organs.. is it just the dg and angel? They could just be displaying for each other.

DG stopped its only the angel now. I think I saw a Molly do it but they were also all fighting over a zuccini piece.
I def saw the Angel still doing it this morning.

No Melfix with a DG??? Uh oh, he seems fine though since the last week does.

Shoudl I not use stress gaurd either then since they both have almost the same ingredients?

Nothing with tea tree oil.. it may he the meds making them flash.. you test your water? What do you use for a conditioner?

Nothing with tea tree oil.. it may he the meds making them flash.. you test your water? What do you use for a conditioner?

I actually have both a nutrifin product and seachem product (I have Prime but its not prime I use for that).

I know that it started after the root tab disaster. I did also just kind buff dose my liquid ferts in my most recent PWC since I held off on them while the root tabs fert dissapated. Could that have irritated him since he hangs at the top so often?

Ill keep watch.

I did just test the water and its all zeros, unless my test kits not right (api master kit)

Shouldn't have 0 nitrates, that test is a pain, re check the directions, beat that bottle like it peed in your tank.. the ferts may have fussed them off.. are they scratching against objects or just going side ways with a shimmy?

Shouldn't have 0 nitrates, that test is a pain, re check the directions, beat that bottle like it peed in your tank.. the ferts may have fussed them off.. are they scratching against objects or just going side ways with a shimmy?

prob a little bit of both. He isnt like super agressive with the flash just swiping against the val but its a decent flick.

My nitrates are really low. Always have been. I may also not be 100% with those colors but pretty much everything always appears zero.

Your Fish

Hello Nick...

If you're keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish wastes, with large frequent water changes and feeding a varied diet, then that's all you can do. Occasional flashing or rubbing on plants isn't a bad sign if you've always kept a clean tank with a balanced water chemistry. Fish will sometimes rub plants to dislodge bits of algae, I've seen this for some time with my fish. The fish are perfectly healthy and I keep the tank water free of dissolved waste material, but the fish when they forage for food will do this at times.

If you've kept up with your tank maintenance duties, you've got nothing to worry about.

B

Hello Nick...

If you're keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish wastes, with large frequent water changes and feeding a varied diet, then that's all you can do. Occasional flashing or rubbing on plants isn't a bad sign if you've always kept a clean tank with a balanced water chemistry. Fish will sometimes rub plants to dislodge bits of algae, I've seen this for some time with my fish. The fish are perfectly healthy and I keep the tank water free of dissolved waste material, but the fish when they forage for food will do this at times.

If you've kept up with your tank maintenance duties, you've got nothing to worry about.

B

def do a minimium like 30% change a week, temp is always stable, and lots of plants.

perhaps you are right but its just weird that right after one fish finishes flashing its off to the next like a circle. Unless thats just the way I catch it.

Your Fish

Hello again Nick...

I think you're worried needlessly. I would suggest you begin a more aggressive water change routine. If you worked up to removing and replacing half the tank water every week, you'd be removing 60 percent more dissolved waste and providing your fish 60 percent more clean tap water then you do now. The fish and plants will appreciate more clean tap water, because they do everything in the tank water and have to live in it.

B

Hello again Nick...

I think you're worried needlessly. I would suggest you begin a more aggressive water change routine. If you worked up to removing and replacing half the tank water every week, you'd be removing 60 percent more dissolved waste and providing your fish 60 percent more clean tap water then you do now. The fish and plants will appreciate more clean tap water, because they do everything in the tank water and have to live in it.

B

thanks I was always under the interpretation that would be too much and possibly mess up the cycle of the tank.
I could try that

Back
Top Bottom