Flat white parasite things on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just noticed a small army of small, flat white/clear things on the glass of my tank. My fish have been acting a bit funny and I suppose this may be why? They are definitely moving so I know they're some sort of parasite, etc.

Can anyone tell me what they may be, if they're harmful to fish, and how I can get rid of them?

Just tested my water:
7.0ph
10ppm nitrate
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite

20 gallon, Aquaclear 50, flake food, nothing added to the tank, planted, tank is 1 yr old, weekly gravel vacuum (last time was this morning)

How large are these things you are talking about? When you say they are moving, are they free moving or anchored and waving. I had some sort of white dots in the tank, which moved on their own, very purposefully. The conclusion I came to was that it might have been some sort of water flea, nothing harmful. Anything anchored and waving is more likely to be an algae of some sort.

Well, what I mean to say is that they are an animal, bug, what have you. It is not algae. In fact, I only see one on the glass at the moment. So the rest have gone into the substrate, or somewhere... It's like a small, flat, shell-less snail.

I think you're probably seeing what I saw. They will crawl along the glass, and they will jump once in a while to another point on the glass or be seen in the water, moving as if they're in control despite their size. They're probably harmless water fleas.

I thank you for your input, but after looking up "water flea" that is just not what they are. They are not free floating, swimming or drifting in the water. Also, they don't have any appendages.

Right now the majority of them are on the glass just under the top of the substrate.

Also, they're disc shaped.

I see something similar to this if I overfeed or add too much ferts. They are white, very tiny, can appear in groups, and they do move or "quiver" along the glass. I can't see any legs or antennae. Sometimes they are on the glass and sometimes I don't see them. When I saw a lot on the glass, it was the day after I was starting to learn how to use ferts. I think I dosed too much. I did a larger then usual water change and then I only saw a few. The amount I see seems to vary now, but I have not seen a large group again. I did some searching and I think they are harmless nematodes.

I have white tiny bug like things in my tank now and there must be hundreds on the glass and some are free swimming. Are they dangerous and what is the best way to get rid of them?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom