Flicking moorii....Cursed tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelly5978

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30g tank that has given me too many problems. I had a few angelfish (that have been rehoused happily to my 55g tank) who did nothing but clamp and act diseased. The tank stayed cycled with a few tetras, until my bf wanted cichlids. He made all the newbie mistakes (overstocking, over feeding, changing water conditioners, and then changing medications when they got ich). I personally think the tank still has ich, but I'm quite afraid to throw more meds at them. He now has only 2 convicts (male and female) and a moorii. However, the convicts hide all the time and the poor moorii is flicking constantly. The fish (now re-homes) who brought ich to the tank also had something white coming out of his gill, and I found out later the tank he was purchased from was quarantined for internal worms. Here is the poor moorii:

What's wrong with my moori? - YouTube

If anyone has any advice, please help! For now, I'm advising Shawn to do nothing. Hopefully the ich, or whatever the problem is,will show itself. Oh...the fish has been exposed to ammonia (Shawn was doing daily water changes because ammonia hit 1 ppm every day because of too many fish), but after re-housing and water changes, the parameters are: ammonia and nitrites:0. Nitrates:5. Ph:8. He put 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt and sludge remover (could sludge remover hurt the fish???) prime was used to condition. My only other thought is that he used too much conditioner. He used prime on the new water, but also put in stress coat for the new fish.

After testing the kh/gh, I'm wondering if this is adding to my problems. The kh:10, or 200 ppm seems ok. But the gh:25, or 450 ppm seems really high. I know Shawn used salts here and there (aquarium and Malawi blend). Is the gh too high? And what's the easiest way to fix it?

Back
Top Bottom