Floating goldfish help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sarasa comet goldfish has started floating but is trying to swim downwards. It is on its side and is slowly breathing. No streaks, no pine coned scales, no bloating, no ich spots and it's eyes are crystal clear however it's gills are a little bit red.

Other than that it has a healthy looking body. All the other fish in my pond are healthy. This is not a new fish and no changes to the environment have been made.

I put it in a 5 gallon aquarium with a little bit of aquarium salt and an air tube (it does not have a air stone since I shattered it a few months back). It's not improving and I am 95% sure the fish will not survive.

For some reason my iPad is not letting me upload any pictures so hopefully you guys can tell me something from the description.

Water parameters in the hospital tank are as follows: pH: 7.6 I know for sure Nitrite and Nitrate are good as the water is completely fresh out of the faucet and the water has been treated with Seachem Prime so Ammonia is at 0. Readings for the pond are currently unavailable but I know they can't be bad because I have around 100 fish in that pond and every single one is healthy. I use the same water for my other pond in the front of my house and those fish are also very healthy.

I'm thinking it's swim blatter but I can't imagine how it could have gotten that. I do not feed those fish. At all. They get all their nutrients from things they find in the pond (tadpoles, mosquito larva, water bugs, algae, various plants and bugs etc.) they are not overfed at all. Please tell me what else I can do!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not eating and the pond is not well aerated...the pump broke and theres an unknown issue with the waterfall...when we turn it on there's strange bubbles and we have lots of deaths so we stopped using it. but there's tons of water plants and lily pads in addition to algae. They've been without the pump for at least 4 months so I don't know why it would suddenly affect them after all its just him none if the others are having problems. His scales are becoming flared and there's a little bit of discoloration near his stomach. He looks dead but if I nudge the tank he swims for 2 or 3 seconds. He's pretty far gone I'm starting to think euthanasia would be the most humane thing to do at this point. I have the clove oil to do it if I really decide that but I would like to help him if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to try to get a picture on a different device and upload and see if that works.

Nope my phone will not allow me to upload anything either...I have Internet connection so I'm thinking it might be my account or maybe the forum.

It looks like the scales are barely starting to pinecone so I'm going to try to treat it like dropsy and use Epsom salt to drain any fluids and see if that helps any, as well as buy some Kanaplex and Kent Marine Extreme Garlic drops to encourage him to eat. I've named him Cloud because he had two white patches in the shape of clouds.

Right now he's in a Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes to see if I can get some of those fluids out of him.

UPDATE: I just put the Kanaplex in his hospital tank so all I can do is treat him with that for ten days with my fingers crossed?.

I would get another pump for aeration as soon as possible. The GF like good aeration.

Good luck for treating him. I am hoping he gets better.

Edit: Hey - as the temps go up in summer, the ability for the fish to use O2 in the water decreases, so more O2 needed when the temps go up!!!

Last edited:
We are very busy but should be getting a new pump soon.

I think it's officially dead and it's scales turned brown near the digestive tract.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom