Floating poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevorg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forum, First post.

So I've recently upgraded from a 20gal to an 80gal. I'm using two Aqueon 55/75 quiet flow filters. It says its good for up to 90gal so i went ahead and got two. I ran my new filters and new media for my new tank for about 3 weeks in the old tank to help build friendly bacteria. I then switched them to the new tank and ran it for 2 more weeks before moving my fish. I have 4 columbian shark (still very young and very small and will move them to a bigger brackish tank as they grow) 3 pictus catfish, 2 common pleccos (i have a friend with a large fish pond, as they outgrow my tanks i relocate them there), and a common musk turtle. All of my water parameters are spot on. Tank is properly cycled. Water is at a good temp and I've got 2 airpumps blowing bubbles. So now that I've given most of the specs, heres the problem. All the poop is floating to the top. I've never had this problem in any of my tanks. (I've got quite a few) so I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I've never heard of a sickness that would make the fish poop go straight to the top so i dont think its a health issue but its disgusting and im having to net it four times a day to keep it tolerable. I feed my guys every other day except the turtle who eats daily but has her own feeding tank due to the catfish being naughty little worm thieves. Any suggestions or ideas would be tremendous

Goldfish and large pleco excrement does float. Not sure about the others and goldfish was just an example but I'd be willing to be any excrement from a large fish will float. I'd try a cannister filter or an Aquaclear hob filter. Those seem to handle massive amounts of waste pretty well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It will sink eventually and fish usually spit it out if they gulp it up, I would vacuum the gravel often though.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

U decided to try changing their diet today. So far I've had very few floating poos. I think it might've been the food they were eating. Too many fillers or something. Thanks for the advice though, i do plan on switching to a canister filter once i get a stand that'll allow for hiding it. My three yr old likes to "help" with things so I'd rather not have one where she can mess with it lol

U decided to try changing their diet today. So far I've had very few floating poos. I think it might've been the food they were eating. Too many fillers or something. Thanks for the advice though, i do plan on switching to a canister filter once i get a stand that'll allow for hiding it. My three yr old likes to "help" with things so I'd rather not have one where she can mess with it lol

Good call on hiding the cannister. That's an expensive toy. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom