FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN BLOATED FISH!! He is ALIVE !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately, if you can't get him to eat, things won't go much better.

Maybe someone else could explain how to do an Epsom salt bath. I am not sure of the ratios but I understand it can help with bloat. Keep trying to give him the peas.

I am going to try peas again---should I just de shell them or should I microwave and mash?

Have you gotten the test kit yet?? If so posting your findings might help us direct you from there. I know sometimes adding purred garlic to food will encourage eating. Maybe if you soak the peas in it before feeding he'd eat them. Worked with my sick betta.

Make sure to change your water, Start doing 75% today and do a 50% tomorrow. They need clean water right away! A API master test kit would have all the tests you need. Which do you have now? Make sure to pick up some aquarium salt while there. Not marine salt. GET PRIME by seachem, it will help you!! Make sure when you change their water you get into the gavel with the gravel vacuum!

So it's been over three weeks---now he is in hospital 10G tank with a filter. The water levels are perfect (got tested at Petsmart).

He refused food & Deshelled peas an today for first time he ate his fish food.

I started him on the API tetracycline powder. I'm on day 3 and did the 25% water change and am still just have filter on for aeration (took filter out as instructed by meds)

He is still floating at surface near the filter with his belly in the air---a white film has now appeared on his bloated belly (two days before I began meds) and I can also see red (inside of him)

Any suggestion....tomorrow is last day of meds and Sunday I am to do another 25% water change for a total of 4 doses.

Should I put carbon filter back in and just wait, should I try another aquarium salt bath (it's been two weeks since I gave him one)....

Also someone at pet store said for me to hold him right side up half way down tank and try to feed him and it worked. He took food right away from my hand!!

I am sorry but petsmart uses strips which are inaccurate at best. They will also tell you your water is 'safe' or 'fine' when its actually not. According to them, .50ppm of ammonia or nitrite is 'safe' for fish. Quite the opposite! Tetra med will also likely have affected any good bacteria you may have had in this tank which means your water conditions are likely poor right now.

At this point, if you honestly want to help your fish, seek out the aid of an aquatic vet. They have surgical interventions and more approriate meds that can be tried. If you need help finding one, just ask!

There is no aquatic vet near me and I leave for work tomorrow.

I will just continue this treatment for now. I will do the water change and insert the carbon in the filter tomorrow.

If he pulls through till Monday I can take him to the city & test his water better. The petsmart there uses API liquid testing.

I'm no goldie expert but I did see a post by 54seaweed yesterday that suggested that you can maybe help him to pass gas by gently pressing on the abdomen? Perhaps you could PM 54seaweed for more info?

Good luck!!

Nope---no progress.

I have him on the tetracycline and tomorrow I am to do a 25% water change and put carbon back in the filter.

I have to go to work in the city tomorrow so if he holds on till Monday I can go to another petsmart & get his water tested with the liquid testers--since JLK says the other tests are no good??

If your using a petsmart, I am guessing your in the US and you mention going to a city. There are aquatic vets but you are not going to find them in the yellow pages. Unfortunately, an aquatic vet is the only one that can offer intervention at this point.

Squeezing the fish's stomach is only going to do more harm than good and you are likely damaging his internal organs that are already squished beyond reason. The only thing you are likely to accomplish by doing this is rupturing one of his distended swim bladder lobes or one of his organs. This advice is strongly not recommended.

Nope---no progress.

I have him on the tetracycline and tomorrow I am to do a 25% water change and put carbon back in the filter.

I have to go to work in the city tomorrow so if he holds on till Monday I can go to another petsmart & get his water tested with the liquid testers--since JLK says the other tests are no good??

I did not know your petsmart uses liquid tests- I have yet to see one that does and Ive been to quite a few of them. Liquid tests are the best but I wouldnt trust the employees to give you accurate answers unless you are seeing the results for yourself and can write down exactly what they say in ppm. Dont assume because they say its fine that your water really is.

Yes all the petsmart I go to use the liquid testers. And I trust them just fine. Thanks for your input though.

Yes all the petsmart I go to use the liquid testers. And I trust them just fine. Thanks for your input though.

I honestly wouldn't if I were you.. maybe ask them for the specific readings that the tests show. Then you'll know wether they are trustworthy.

Back
Top Bottom