Force Feeding Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julianhossini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi i recently got 2 discus fish and 1 is completely thriving, as for the other one he has been in the corner facing the back since day 1 of getting him which was almost 3 weeks ago and he still hasnt eaten, medication for fungus & bacterial and also meds for parasites, he still isnt doing any better and i fear that i might loose him soon if he doesnt eat, so my question is can i force feed him? I was thinking of liquifying some beef heart and catching him and injecting into his mouth?

Attachments

• image-3171654023.jpg
    image-3171654023.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3085307696.jpg
    image-3085307696.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 88
From the picture your discus does not look like he's doing too hot, catching him and injecting food down his throat sounds pretty stressful! What kinds of symptoms does he have other than not eating

Also I wanted to ask are those greenish spots in the picture on the fish or is that algae on the glass?

Those spots are light reflection, there definetly not on the discus, his syptoms are that he isnt eating, hangs liflessly in the corner all day and i was what looked like a puff on cotton on his bottom fin but i pulled it off, he has twitches sometimes, and the water is perfect, PH is at around 6.5 and i know force feeding is stressfull but its my last resort, he hasnt eaten for weeks

I had a discus that was very timid and wouldn't eat for about three full weeks when we first got him, water parameters were fine and he didn't show any visible signs of sickness, nor did any of our other healthy discus. And then one day he seemed to snap out of it and now he's a pig just like the rest of our discus. If he's new to the tank it might be stress that's keeping him from eating. I would try to give him lots of coverage and keep water nice and clean to make him comfortable. Hopefully someone with more expertise can give you some advice on here. I hope he feels better soon!

Yeah its just thats its almost been 3 weeks and i just have a bad feeling that im gonna wake up to a dead discus if he doesnt start eating soon, t seems like its only gotten worse

What temp is your tank at right now? Sometimes I notice an improvement from slightly raising the temperature a few degrees when any of our discus are acting funny. Did that white fuzz on his mouth ever come back?

Back
Top Bottom