found a red spot today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
During my inspection of my fish today, i noticed a red spot on my female GBR. The spot looks like a scale that could be lifting up. I did not notice this yesterday before I left for work.

Also, before my inspection, i had a dead guppy. At first, i believed this to be due to one of my other guppies stressing him out. I am still pretty sure that is it, but could be wrong.

Background on why i think that; I had 3 male guppies in a 5.5 gallon and 2 of them had their fins start missing after I added 3 neon tetra's to the tank. I never did check the parameters in the tank but they always seem to be "nipped" rather than rotted. This never effected the fantail and his tail still looks great. Also yesterday before work, I did notice that he was being harassed a lot by 2 of my guppies. One was the fantail and the other was one of the year old ones from the 5.5 as well.

As for the GBR, i did not do a long inspection yesterday as I was fairly busy. But i did take the piece of driftwood that they spawn on so that I could retie a plant to it. The driftwood piece is actually 2 pieces that magically fit together and I epoxied together. well in my rinsing and cleaning some "slime" off of part of the wood they came apart. I did not have any stainless screws to permanently fix this so I left it out last night.

Could this be caused by stress? do I need to get my 5.5 running again to isolate and treat her? i still have the filer media running in my 20g to get it seeded well so it should be a fairly quick setup using my 36's water.

out of my other fish in the tank, only 1 guppy is having issues, but this is due to him missing the top half of his tail.

I have some pics on my phone that I will be posting shortly.

Here are some pics

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420648000835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420648000835.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1420648029372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420648029372.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 53
A better pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420649667315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420649667315.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 54
This fish has been setup in my 5 gallon tank and is now undergoing Melafix treatments. Hopefully the fish will be fine and get better.

Any idea's what this could be? also, am I taking the right steps with this fish?

There is a sticky that everyone skips
These questions will give us a better picture.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuumed the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
GBR has a red mark on her side and appears to have on by her anal fin

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, pH 8, Temp 78

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
36 bowfront – setup since 12-20-2014 with current fish and decore/plants.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
SunSun HW-504B this is 264gph with UV sterilizer

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
13 neon tetra
4 male guppies
2 GBR (mated pair)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuumed the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
The day prior – 30%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
Had the fish sine late Dec – acclimated with a 5 hr drip

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
I removed the driftwood they mated on to retie a pant. There was a slimy substance on part of the back of the driftwood as well
While I was rinsing the wood, it broke and needed to be fix so it was out of the tank for the day
I also took the opportunity to replant a crypt and I added an amazon sword

Also, about 2 weeks ago i switched to prime for my conditioner

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently ?
Prior to 2 weeks ago, I used tetra tropical flakes, now I am using omega one super color and twice a week frozen blood worms

Thank you. I would keep your water pristine as you have been.

I haven't had great luck with Melafix, but I don't think it will hurt anything.

Clean water and salt were my gotos.
Others should chime in soon.
I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you. What temp is hospital tank set at ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

QT is at 78 just like the main tank.

The ram is doing ok in the tank and she did eat her flakes today. Water looks good with no spikes that i seen.

However her mate in the main take is going crazy today. He is pacing so much and just does not seem happy. I am going to assume that this is due to missing his mate and wanting to find her. Hopefully he is not going to be too stressed out. I dont want to loose him. He was my first fish and just looks really great.

the good news, i found out what this was. She had a hemorrhage that caused this issue. The bad news, she died today.

I am hoping that this was caused by an injury and not something contagious that will spread to my other fish

Back
Top Bottom