Fozzie died, new ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matratzac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 2 yr old beta, Fozzie (after the muppet) died yesterday. I have a 5 gallon eclipse tank with live plants and was perhaps looking to keep a different fish this time.. perhaps something brackish. I know a 5 gallon is small, I have a 20 gallon in the living room, but the 5 gallon is my only option. I saw dwarf puffer fish at a fish store and was thinking about getting a few of those. Any ideas?

Zac

Aw, I'm sorry about Fozzy. But I think I hear a betta (I believe he said his name is Ernie) sitting in a teeny cup calling out to you saying "Pick me ! Pick me ! This cup isn't a good place. I want to go home with you. Pretty please. I know you'd give me a great place to live and I promise to wag my tail at you every time I see you".

A 5g is a little small for DPs. They are best kept in ratios of 1m/2f to keep the aggression down...but 3g per fish is recommended, so a 5g won't work. They are also fully freshwater.

If you want something different, maybe get a few male guppies. Or if you can find them, some male Endlers. They are very colorful, but get only males because they are livebearers.

If it was me, I'd plant the tank well and get some cherry shrimp.

Thanks guys, I ended up getting another betta.

While I was there though, I also snagged 2 freshwater flounder for my 20 gallon in the living room. They are SO CUTE.

I don't think those "freshwater flounder" are freshwater fish. When I looked 'em up I found that they are actually brackish.

joannde said:
So tell me, his is name Ernie ?

you've made a betta VERY happy ! congrats on the new additions

I'm thinking of naming him "Jellybean" because hes very small, and hes white with lightblue fins. Hes tiny, so he must be young. He is obviously still getting aquainted to his tank bc he seems very...... shy.

It always amazes me how each betta is different with such diverse personalities. Post a pic of him if you can get him out long enough - he sounds sweet.

joannde said:
It always amazes me how each betta is different with such diverse personalities. Post a pic of him if you can get him out long enough - he sounds sweet.

Will do.

RoK said:
I don't think those "freshwater flounder" are freshwater fish. When I looked 'em up I found that they are actually brackish.

Yea, I have read this too, so we'll see how it goes. Theres conflicting information everywhere it seems. Despite that, something still tells me they would be better off in my tank than in the petstore or with someone else :D

Back
Top Bottom