Fresh water oodinium - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notagain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have long been searching online for pictures replicating what my fish have.. Have had tank for over a year and never ending problems. Water levels all normal.. Did have a mild high nitrate with live plants always dying but resolved by pulling them!
Tank family: platys, mollies, guppies, pleco, Apple snail, loach, 6 Amano shrimp

Problem for months with: White dried scales/ dusty powder tops/ glows in the dark with flash light so I believe I've nailed it to freshwater type oodinium?
I am also a little bit freaking out If there is fish Tb in the tank... I had a few fish die several months back with curved spines, some having rapid breathing, scratching/ flashing randomly here and there.. I mainly see the Oodi on my mollies that are 5 months new, and one that has lost all scales and gone clear transparent! except also with patchy top.... Many fish are losing weight,, looking thin, I did remove one male that was constantly bullying them all stressing them out. And just finished course of general cure antib. With praziquantel and flagyl.
Water temp set at 25-28. Lights on timer 8-2 and 5-10. Feed twice a day, 55G tank 30% water change q8days, sometime more :/ busy mom! I was doing it every 3 days to start the tank but gave up a few months back.

Need help with: what medicine am I using without killing my invertebrates, loach and snail... I heard copper works but will kill my shrimp. I see Fishvet has products out there for velvet.. Revive and Aqua pro Cure... But it has formaldehyde I think and acriflavine in it.. It says it's safe on shrimp bUt I see forums that say no... HELPPP!? Am I Treating whole tank? Don't have a quarantine set up yet/ how to treat each tank and switch back and forth! How to treat tank and not lose my seasoned bacteria... What is the plan here
Thanks so much... Amazing the attachment we get for these little guys.. Spend more money on meds than it is to replace the fish!

Plus one with CB.

Bumping along as well.

Could you remove the shrimp to a large bucket for a few weeks while treating? Then just sort out the tank and its done. Option A.

A while back on another thread we had a theory metronidazole (this is flagyl I think?) should work on ich (and thus velvet) but it looks like you tried that. I think there was actually a research paper but never kept the link :( . Otherwise if you only did a short meds course, you could try metro in medicated fish food for I would say 2 weeks. Option B - theory.

Curved spines and whatnot could just be from secondary general bacterial infection. But given this has been ongoing for some time, I'd go with option A myself.

Back
Top Bottom