Friend with sick DOJO Loach needs advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm posting this for my friend who needs some advise on his sick dojo loach.

His once very active dojo is now lying on the bottom of the tank upside down , he's breathing and having fits. He seems to make himself into a ball and jump all over the tank very franticly then settles on the bottom upside down again.

My lfs said it may be his swim blatter.

All levels in the tank are normal, we completed a 25% water change. This is a 30 gal tank.

Please give any info you can on what may be wrong. And how to help the little guy.

Move it to a QT tank and start treating for internal bacterial infection that may be affecting its swim bladder. Best to find medicated food. Keep in mind that not all meds are safe for scaleless fish.

He only has 1 extra tank and it's only 1 gal. Is that enough for qt with a dojo loach? I'll go ahead and advise him to put him in it for now.

Is a swim blatter problem life threating?

Is a swim blatter problem life threating?
Yes

I would separate the loach. Since I'm not there, i can't say for sure if it is swim bladder disorder. What have you been feeding lately? Has anyone seen the loach produce waste?

Definately quarantine, then start running through a comprehensive list of what may have caused this... How long has he had the loach? What are his water parameters? What tankmates does the loach have? What has he been feeding? Could anything have contaminated the tank? Has any chemical/medication been recently added to the tank? Etc...

The loach has been put in qt , he has had it for around 8 months. No testing strips at this current moment is picking up in morning.

Besides the loach there is an angelfish, a large comet goldfish, an oranda goldfish, a pleco, 3 zebra danios and a large apple snail. Nothing new has been added that should have affected the tank that we know of. After a 25% water change he added proper amounts of bio coat and ammolock. The other fish appear to be doing fine.

The fish is going nuts at this point flipping in all directions non stop but is continuing to stop on back. Also he's not currently eating. He was eating Tetramin tropical flakes.

Liquid tests are more reliable!

As for the fish load, your friend is keeping fish that ar not compatable in terms of water conditions. Goldfish are not tropical fish and should be kept in a separate tank.

When doing water changes, the only thing I add is a dechlor. If the tank is properly cycled, the bacteria will take care of the ammonia and there is no need to add additional chemicals.

The fish is going nuts at this point flipping in all directions non stop but is continuing to stop on back. Also he's not currently eating. He was eating Tetramin tropical flakes.
I just don't know. Try feeding it a veggie such as zucchini, cucumber, peas or broccoli stalk. For zucc and cuc, peel, remove seeds, rubber band to a rock and serve. Peas--I like frozen ones--nuke about 30 seconds, peel and serve. Brocc--nuke for about 30 seconds, cool and serve.

Menagerie said:
Peas--I like frozen ones--nuke about 30 seconds, peel and serve. Brocc--nuke for about 30 seconds, cool and serve.

Nonono....blanch in boiling water, but don't microwave....recent studies have shown that microwaving fresh veggies for even 20-30 seconds destroys almost all their vitamins and nutrients.

What is the name of the medicine for the swim blatter problem. We really need to get that fixed first cause hes on his back lying on the bottom , I don't think he cares much about what veggies hes gonna eat.

We will try those but first we really need to get him well. Please let me know.

Thanks

Depends on what is causing the swim bladder problem, but most broad-spectrum antibiotics are indicated. The reason peas were suggested is that they can help/cure some swimbladder issues.

I understand, we just can't get him to eat. Should we put them directly into his mouth?
Also are canned peas ok?

The position he is in I guess he just doesn't want to eat the flakes. But i'll try the peas.

Thanks

Tinnned are nowhere near as good as fresh or frozen...don't use them if possible. Just mush the pe a bit and put it in from of him/where he hangs out. He may not eat it, but it is worth a try...otherwise, consider those antibiotics.

Aside from a swim bladder disorder, I was wondering if the little guy had a blockage. The problem with him not eating is the meds would be best admisitered in food, but putting it in the water will also help. Give it a pea and the meds and see if it doesn't start to perk up.

:) Good call on the peas , we only got him to eat one( I hope he ate it cause its gone ) but already hes doing better.
Still acting alittle crazy but he is stopping on his belly now. Going in the morning to get some meds. Another friend of ours said there was a product call Morrisons that is good for swim blatter problems. Ever heard of it? Know if it's any good?Thanks for the advise on that.

Back
Top Bottom