From Ich, to Anchorworms, to Velvet... *rant* =(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Shortly after adding the Rams to my 26g tank, I had a long battle with Ich. I was able to finish off the Ich with no losses, using the high temp treatment for a couple of weeks, not including the time to raise and lower the temp slowly. While I was raising the temps, I used a half does of Ick Clear to prevent rapid spreading, then removed it with carbon.

After clearing the Ich away, one of my Guppies seemed weird, then one day it's belly looked like it was exploding, the next day it had four large anchorworms, then it died within 12 hours. I have no idea where the Anchorworms came from. I added half a dose of Parasite Guard to the tank to protect against further infections, waited a week, then removed the medicine from the water with carbon.

Last night I am checking my tank in the dark to see how the Pleco is doing. He hides in a cave any time there is light in the room, so I need to sneak up on him with a dimmed flashlight. The Pleco was covered in "gold dust" indicating Velvet. With a flashlight, it looks like someone spray painted the fish gold! After some long observation, at least four of my other fish were scratching themselves on my gravel as well. Since the high heat never killed off the Velvet the first time around, now I am treating the tank full strength with Maracide, and will contiune to treat the tank for well longer than the reccomended length with the tank lights off. This will likely destroy my bio filter as well.

I have no idea how it came to this really. I have more than enough filtration, the temp is stable, the water readings are fine (for now), I do weekly water changes of 25%, I only feed the fish 6 times a week, the lighting is consitent, and nothing has been added to the tank in about 6 weeks. I have gotten so picky about everything, I check under the tank stand with a light to see where the poop is so I can gravel vac it out. Everytime I get rid of one thing, another is right behind it. Now that I am having to try a full dose of Maracide, I can see myself cycling the tank all over again, which could cause more problems. I just want to enjoy my fish and keep them healthy, but this is really getting on my nerves. I know other people with fish that have the tanks double overstocked, never do water changes, have incompatible fish for their water, and they never have issues like this. I have helped a lot of people online, locally, and even at pet shops, yet I can not even keep my own fish healthy :evil:

*grumble* I hear ya grimmie.

I've had my tanks running for a while; one of my angels is over 2 yrs old. Thought I give rams a go (remember?). Turns out the only thing I can keep alive in that tank is snails; not only did I lose every ram, even the bullnose plec I got for that tank keeled. The snails however are breeding like...rabbits? Flies? Whatever, it is, they won't die and its the one thing I DON'T want living in the tank. I now have a lovely 25g planted tank for a bunch of common pond snails *sigh*

I feel for ya; I really do.

Check out this shot of the Pleco:

velvet.jpg

This shiny horizontal lines and sparkles in the pic are the Velvet on the fish, hard to capture with a camera, but almost the whole fish is covered.

Oh that poor baby :(

Dunno if heat works for velvet; haven't done any research there, so its a good thing you're treating with meds. I have my fingers crossed for ya grimmie.

And Fruitbat; I DO have loaches who would love to decimate the snail population. Thing is, every fish thats gone into that tank recently has died. No way I'm putting my babies in that death tank, although we are taking the larger snails out for the loaches and angelfish to snack on.

Back
Top Bottom