Frustrated and puzzled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenor33

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I thought I was so-so smart when it came to fresh water tanks and problems even though I am seriously lacking in the SW area. I have had a problem come up in my guppy tank that has me really baffled. It started out with 1 guppy at a time come up with a white fungus growing on their body and would spread fast, within 2 or 3 days it would be dead. I started treating with Mela-fix and Pima-fix after the first 1 got it but hasn't slowed it down. Every 3 or 4 days 1 dies and another gets the fungus. Now as if that ain't bad enough I have 2 ( so far ) that are losing their whole tails, just rotting off. This is something I haven't had to deal with before and its just about finished off my guppy tank. My other tanks are fine, I guess thats what makes me so mad. I can take care of Clown Loaches, Neons, Oscars etc but I can't keep my Guppies alive :cry: I feel bad

As in a Saltwater tank no, but I did at one time sprinkle a little in there a few weeks ago. I thought it would be good for em.....are guppies like neons and cory's and can't tolerate any salt at all ??

well it sounds like ick to me. i used ick guard by jungle but it cant be used with scaleless fish. there is also threads where it talks about using heat to kill the ick in the articles under Freshwater Ich. good luck i lost some mollies to ick. :) i hope that helps you

Sounds to me like you've run into fin rot...which is a catch-all phrase that can be used to describe either a bacterial or fungal disease. You might consider trying a product called Jungle Fungus Clear. It does a creditable job on fungal infections and also contains an anti-bacterial agent that might be effective against other things that might be causing the problem. Certainly worth a try!

well I know its not ick. The tail-rot has just started a few days ago and has already completely removed the tail from 1 and almost another. The fungus usually starts right in the middle of the body and as it spreads the fish gets stiffer and stiffer and dies within 3 days. I'll check on that Jungle Fungus Clear in the morning. thanks for the responses guys/gals

Back
Top Bottom