Frustrating new fish purchase!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am so irritated ? I drove an hour to pick up Denisons Barbs from a guy on a local forum. I got pictures and water parameters, size etc and all was good. Well I show up, and these guys are tiny and their skin is peeling!I realize I could have just not taken them, but I had already driven a long distance, and they were pretty cheap. I also kind of wanted to rescue them.

Anyways they're obviously going into the 20g long QT tank...the fish currently in there are getting an early release because I'm afraid these new ones might have comumnaris or something evil...it could just be the water quality, stress etc....but until I observe them I won't know.

What should I treat with in the mean time? I thought about adding some stress coat to help the peeling skin issue, and I have some melafix and pimafix on hand (some leftover maracyn plus I once treated columnaris with in case) ...anyways...

Just wanted to vent that...also I'm testing this guys water to see what it's like out of curiosity! I'm determined to help the poor fishes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd just throw a little salt in there and feed them awesome.. that really sucks though...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya salt is good...just irritating and I had driven so far for them! I've never used melafix or pimafix they just came with something I bought once so idk lol....at least my prior experience with fish disease taught me to QT and I'm better at attemptin to diagnose I guess :-/

Awww. I hope they make it!! I love denison's.

If there is a lfs with brine shrimp you might want to get them some as a treat :) mine go crazy for them

Awww. I hope they make it!! I love denison's.

If there is a lfs with brine shrimp you might want to get them some as a treat :) mine go crazy for them

I dont know about live but I have some frozen baby brine shrimp for the guppy babies I could try. Once I got them acclimated, one appears to be struggling possibly from stress. He was flipping over and couldn't stay straight :-/

I had to leave for my parents so I will check on them when I get home. I did add just a little salt, and will add more tonight...i hope they male it! I have four large ones in the 90 gallon that I love :)

Well...they're toast. At least they will be. They're in the QT...what are the odds they had something terrible and have infected the water column with it already? I'm thinking they were just not in good conditions before and the stress from transport did them in? Idk... My fault for buying them but it's still irritating ?

I feel bad for the poor fish. The person who sold them to you was wrong to sell sick fish. I have driven way far to pick up fish so I can understand. You must be very disappointed and that sucks!

I did actually and was surprised that all was within range...the only thing I didn't test was nitrates because I ran out of the test fluid for bottle #1 lol...he told me (after the fact!) that his brother had been "playing" with the fish but I call BS ....

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I feel so bad for the poor little things! No one should "play" with their fish. Fish can occasionally be petted or played with through the glass but anything else would cause damage to them. I'd say use salt first then stress coat and try all the other meds tomorrow. You don't want to over do it because that might make things worse. I'm also worried about the fish that get early release.....if they didn't finish healing with whatever problem they had they will get bullied or their illness could destroy your tank! I know it had to be done but its still a no-no. You should give feed back in that forum so others don't make the mistake of buying from him.

NatureFish
????

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I feel so bad for the poor little things! No one should "play" with their fish. Fish can occasionally be petted or played with through the glass but anything else would cause damage to them. I'd say use salt first then stress coat and try all the other meds tomorrow. You don't want to over do it because that might make things worse. I'm also worried about the fish that get early release.....if they didn't finish healing with whatever problem they had they will get bullied or their illness could destroy your tank! I know it had to be done but its still a no-no. You should give feed back in that forum so others don't make the mistake of buying from him.

NatureFish
????

The fish in the QT that got early release were just a new purchase id had in there for about a week (baby neon dwarf rainbows!!). I just like to make sure they don't have ich or anything else that would manifest itself before putting on display. They're ok though (id have kept them in longer but didn't have that option.)

The two denison barbs died sadly. They didn't even make it a few hours in the QT :(

I already posted to the site and told the guy what happened. He didn't really care ?

The fish in the QT that got early release were just a new purchase id had in there for about a week (baby neon dwarf rainbows!!). I just like to make sure they don't have ich or anything else that would manifest itself before putting on display. They're ok though (id have kept them in longer but didn't have that option.)

The two denison barbs died sadly. They didn't even make it a few hours in the QT :(

I already posted to the site and told the guy what happened. He didn't really care ?

Poor fish RIP....

NatureFish
????

Sorry about that, That guy is a scumbag. I would rip him on his website. I feel bad about the fish though. Sounds awful. They can be pricey for ones from reputable dealers but I think that may be the best way to go. :flowers:

Thanks :-/ sad I lost them, then it was also my fault for taking them but I drove so long for them, and then wanted to try and save them...and yeah :(

I got a few small ones from a lfs here and they're still acting really shy except at feeding. They mostly chill in the corner together other than that so far...but I figure it's a process to get used to a new tank anyways...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

That stinks. I would definitely post on the other forum/wherever so it doesn't happen to other people!

Already did ...just in case!

Back
Top Bottom