fueding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadyfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello I have two redtailed barracuda in a 55gal tank the smaller of the two has been acting aggressive and not schooling with his slightly larger tankmate so I placed it in my 29gal hospital tank for the time being I would really like to keep them together but the fin nipping and anti social behavior is making me nervous can someone please help me with any insight much appreciation to all and thankyou

It could be happening for a number of reasons.

First, are they well fed? If they're hungry, they will become more aggressive.

It may also be that you have two males, or two females, who simply are butting heads...it happens sometimes.
I would, if possible, get a third barracuda to introduce to the tank. The new fish will hopefully facilitate the forming of a school, or at the very least, will allow for a pair to form. Then you can simply return the odd man out.

What size are these fish? With a max size of 15in. a 55 gallon does not offer the real estate size to house these fish. Keeping large and aggressive fish in a small tank can only lead to something going wrong. I would think re-homing one or upgrading to a 6ft tank would be my recommendation.

I returned the aggressive fish my lfs and picked up a small tiger dat , I plan on upgrading to a 100gal before the summer to give them the space they need

Back
Top Bottom