Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maillis

Aquarium Advice Activist
anyone have any recommendations on what the best medication is for treating a wound that has gotten infected with fungus?

What species of fish? Do you have a hospital tank available?
I would promptly remove the wounded/infected fish to a hospital tank and (depending on species) add 1-2 tbls of aquarium salt per 10 gallons and turn up the heat to the fishes higher tolerance range.
I'm partial to not automatically using antibiotics, I would try some Mela-fix and /or Pima-Fix first for a week (follow product directions carefully).
If the infection increases or does not respond then I'd use a antibiotic.

If your fish had tankmates (I see in your profile he probably does), I would advise raising the tank temp slightly and a light dose of salt as a precaution, healthy fish should be able to fight off most disease but if its some nasty like Columnaris you can't be too careful.

It's one of my bala sharks. He's about 6 inches long. and it's definitely nothing like columnaris I've started treating with melafix and pimafix, hopefully that will do the trick. If not, what do you folks think about MarOxy?

Back
Top Bottom