Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohabs9

Aquarium Advice Regular
my fish appear to have a fungus on them...its looks like cottony tuffs on the body and skin of fish......it is on the eyes too,,, i wont be able to treat this till approx 2 pm tommorow...will they be ok till then...what treatment do i get and will the other fish be ok with the treatment or should i remove them to treat them.......i have plecos, angles and gouramis, cory cats in the tank...it is on the angles....i really cant loose them....my pride and joy fish........

how long until they are gonners.......and do i treat the whole tank for the fungus...no other fish visably has it.........*%&$ im mad........

seems to be this

Saprolegnia, Achyla. Funguses.
Body Fungus; appear as white or gray fluff or patches on body, fins.

Improved water quality, malachite, formalin, sulfa drugs

Treat in a QT tank. Some meds will stain your silicone. I would just remove the sick fish to the QT and treat them with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. That has always worked for me. If it is a stubborn case that doesn't go away in a few days, try methylene blue. Meth. blue will definitely stain your silicone.

how long do i have to treat it.........and if i remove them could it be already infecting the water and harming my other fish or will it only affect the fish that have it now.......

and what type of meds are the best??

man i hate this...bcuz now i heave to wait all night and untill i get home from work...some 15 hours to help treat them.....will they be ok.....they havent had it longer than 24hours....they are both eating but staying near back of tank near top......please list some good fungus cure for me to buy tommrorow

Well, just try to stay positive and treat as soon as you can. I've already listed some meds in my other post, Jungle Fungus Eliminator and methylene blue. The Jungle brand also makes a Fungus Clear product, but I haven't tried it. My meth. blue is made by Kordon, but there may be other brands at the lfs. If you don't see those brands, ask or look around for another brand of fungus medicine.

I would try the Jungle Fungus Eliminator first. It also has an antibiotic to guard against secondary infections. But one time I had a stubborn case and the meth. blue worked for me.

I keep those fungus meds, a few antibiotics, and a parasite med on hand just in case. I get the smallest bottle/cannister of the med that I can, because some of them expire, and some of them you may end up not using. But I found that it's easier for me to keep a basic supply on hand. If the fish is not resonding to one of the meds, I can then go out and get another one, but it does ease my mind to have a few meds on hand to start off with.

I would just QT the affected fish. Keep an eye on the others, of course, but my reasoning for just treating the sick ones is that fungal spores are everywhere, in the water and in the air. The sick fish succumbed to it, but the healthy ones did not, and hopefully they won't. When my fish got fungus, I think it was from an injury. I think he may have scraped himself on a rock. Is there anything that could be sharp to the fish in your tank? I wouldn't treat the fish that are not showing any signs of illness. You also don't want to expose fish to medicine when you don't have to. Good luck!

most walmarts are open 24 hours and you can buy a variety of fungus meds from there. Do you live near a 24 hour walmart??? Fungus usually doesn't affect the entire tank.. it just happens where it happens.

To prevent it in the future you can increase your water quality by doing more water changes and such.

ok thanks

is the fugus usually make the fish clamp thier fins down when they swim....they seem to be swimming very slowly(angles are pretty slow anyways) but they seems to only use half their fin at a ime to put it best

ok well i got home and their both dead..........so a whole lot of fuss for nothing........what the deal with the malifix.........is it suppoesd to disolve

Im soooo sorry for your loss :cry:

Melafix is a liquid.. its really just teatree oil.

mardel maracyn was the one i got........i put the tabs in and they didnt really disolve....should i still treat the other fish for the fungus, there is no visable signs, and ive done 2 pwc since the first sign of it (Thursday night), my two angles died friday.....i really hate to see them die because they were my nicest fish, after having them for a year i thought theyd fight this off quick but it took control of them pretty quick....well now ill try my luck with angles again.....i like to start them off small and grow them myself, i hear that with 6 you usually get a pair>>accuarate>>?

Back
Top Bottom