Fungus Among us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a paludarium-type setup, using lava rock. Because it is so porous, the rock tends to wick up water and stay damp. I've recently noticed a bunch of white specks (it almost looks like my rocks have ich :p ) on some ov the rocks, especially in the damper areas. Is this a fungus? If so, what should I treat it with? It is only present in areas above the water line, so I was considering using hydrogen peroxide as a spot treatment, but that wouldn't stop it from coming back. Any ideas?

You can use Tea Tree Oil to get rid of molds/mildews (which i'm guessing is what you've got, given the warmth + dampness of an aquarium), actually, and it shouldn't be harmful to your fish (it's what's in melafix). I'd say spot treat the areas you see now, then maybe mix up a dilute solution in a spray bottle to use as a preventative....although you might just want to treat when you see, so you don't end up exposing the fish to a lot of the oil.

good luck!

It could be mold, fungus, or mineral deposits.

Minerals from your water could collect there, as your water evaporates, leaving minerals behind.

No idea how to clean it.

I think I may just try planting moss over the real problem areas, and just using spot treatments to occasionally get rid of the rest of it.

Thanks!

-J

Back
Top Bottom