Fungus contagious to predators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 30 gallon tank that contains 3 crawfish, a baby pike who's just about to hit 4 inches, and a small swarm of juvenile feeder fish. A few of the feeders have become infected with a fungus. It appears as a white cottony growth that attacks fins or tail, and in one case the whole latter half of a fish.

I attribute this to an opportunistic infection resulting from unsuccessful attacks by the pike, and it doesn't seem to be spreading to otherwise healthy fish so far. I've been removing the affected fish and attempting to treat with Melafix, with limited success so far.

The real question is if this sort of fungus can be transmitted to a predator. If I just dropped the injured fish in front of a big hungry fish for a quick euthanasia, would I risk losing that fish?

If it matters, the feeders are Gambusia affinis, the tank water tests 0/0/30, set up about 8 months, 180 gph HOB filter, weekly 50% pwc, feeding flake food, frozen bloodworms and spirulina wafers.

Back
Top Bottom