Fungus eating away my Swordtail's tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotswithchemicals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a white fungus that has basically eaten away all of my swordtail's tail. She's the only one in the tank that has it and is often hiding and wont come up to feed. I took pictures with my iPod, but it doesn't show it too well and I don't have it with me. I am using a Maracyn medicine that I had for a disease that killed off all my mollies, but I'm not sure if thats the proper medicine to use.

Is there anything that I can do other than medication? Water changes everyday so its clear water? Any help is appreciated!

Tank makes are 2 other swords and 2 other mollies in a 20 gallon while my 55 is under watch since I had that disease since my other mollies perished. All the perimitors are 0 except for the NitrAtes, which I don't have the numbers for but I remember that it wasn't too high. But I do daily 50% water changes a week, sometimes twice a week; full of live plants with a bio-wheel filter (it that really matters).

Thanks in advance~

I have a white fungus that has basically eaten away all of my swordtail's tail. She's the only one in the tank that has it and is often hiding and wont come up to feed. I took pictures with my iPod, but it doesn't show it too well and I don't have it with me. I am using a Maracyn medicine that I had for a disease that killed off all my mollies, but I'm not sure if thats the proper medicine to use.

Is there anything that I can do other than medication? Water changes everyday so its clear water? Any help is appreciated!

Tank makes are 2 other swords and 2 other mollies in a 20 gallon while my 55 is under watch since I had that disease since my other mollies perished. All the perimitors are 0 except for the NitrAtes, which I don't have the numbers for but I remember that it wasn't too high. But I do daily 50% water changes a week, sometimes twice a week; full of live plants with a bio-wheel filter (it that really matters).

Thanks in advance~

Unfortunately, Maracyn (erythromycin) does not work on fungus. I would use a Nitrofurizone based med for best results.
Here is a link to an excellent article about dealing with Fungus infections:
Columnaris (Flexibacteria); Aquarium, Pond Treatment, Prevention; Fungus, Saprolegnia Pay close attention to section 2.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom