Fungus eliminator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I use Jungle fungus eliminator will it kill my beneficial bacteria? My tank is newly cycled and I don't have a quarentine tank yet. I'll have one in a few days. Should I wait? I've been trying stresscoat and aquarium salt and my dwarf gourami isn't getting any better. He has a weird ulcer looking thing on his side close to his head. It's got white stuff on it since last night and his poop looks long and stringy. Thanks in advance!

ps...if you don't think fungus eliminator is the way to go I'm open to suggestions.

I have never used it so I can't say.
I use Pimafix and I know it will not effect the bacteria.
PS: I did use Jungle parasite clear before and it didn't hurt anything, if that helps.

I heard that the pimafix had something in it that is bad for labyrinth fish. Have you heard anything about that. I almost bought it anyway. Will medicated my tank with the fungus eliminator harm my other fish at all?

I have heard that too but have used it with both my dwarf gouramis and gold gouramis with no problem at all.

Well, I'm getting the sick tank tomorrow so I think I'll try the stuff I bought first. Then I'll try the the pimafix next. He's always hiding now and acts really scared at the slightest sight of me. Do fish do that kind of thing when they're sick?

Yes they do hide when sick. And yes Jungle's fungus eliminator will affect your bacterial cycle. The stringy white poo may be indicating internal parasites.

Yes they do hide when sick. And yes Jungle's fungus eliminator will affect your bacterial cycle. The stringy white poo may be indicating internal parasites.
Or internal bacterial infection. The fishes digestion system will produce mucus to try to eliminate the problem. That is what the white poo may be.
As I said earlier I have used Jungle parasite clear and it did not ruin my cycle.
Metronidazole treats a number of internal parasites and bacterial problems.
PS: I have done some research on the melafix/pimafix vs Labyrinth fish and it looks like it may be an urban legend. Like I said I have used it with my Labyrinth fish with no issues at all.

ok...I'm going to get the jungle parasite clear and treat the whole tank. I bought the fungus clear yesterday but it sounds like the paraste clear is the one to go with. I think I'll also pick up some melafix or pimafix too. Which one is better?

I put in a jungle parasite tab tonight. Can I combine the pimafix with it or would that over medicate? I bought the melafix too and also the jungle fungus stuff. I figure I should keep it around for future problems. It's kinda hard to tell whether it's an internal parasite or internal bacterial infection. If the parasite tabs don't help then I'll move onto the jungle fungus clear. Let me know what you guys think. :)

I would not add anything else right now.
The parasite clear IIRC is only a 2 day treatment anyway.
PS: you did remove the carbon from your filter right?

It says you can dose again after 48 hours and a 25% water change if it's not better. Should I redose after that or try the fungus stuff?

See if there is any improvement.
I had a mollie that was laying on her side and very near death, within 24 hours of dosing with parasite clear the mollie was active and you would have never known anything was ever wrong. I did 2 doses just to be sure.
If it were me I would hold off on Pimafix/Melafix until I was done with the Parasite clear. Then I would dose with them for about 4 or 5 days to prevent any secondary infections.

OK....he's still hiding and not really eating. I'll do a second dose after the 48 hours if he's not better. He has something that looks like and ulcer type of thing too. He had it before and I used stess coat and aquarium salt and it got better but it flared up again and looks even worse than ever. And he isn't eating. He's normally a big porker. I heard about some garlic stuff that is supposed to help with appetite. Maybe I'll get some of that.

The more I look at your description the more I am thinking he has Hole in the Head disease. Thought to be caused by a parasite called Hexamita.
I read through the Parasite clear instructions and it does claim to kill Hexamita so you should be on the right track. It is common with HITH to have a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. Hopefully Pimafix/Melafix will help with that but you may need an antibiotic.
Read about HITH here:
Animal Planet :: Fish Guide -- Health & Nutrition

I was looking at the hole in the head thing online too and it didn't really look the same. The fish in the pics had many sunken holes that were kind of dark. Bert only has one and it's like an open wound. It's red and now has some white stuff on it. But then, I'm new at this so I'm pretty clueless. lol So...keep with the parasite clear and see what happens then re-evaluate? Thanks for the link....I'll read it now. :)

It does sound the same. I guess the photos I looked at threw me off so I didn't think that's what it was. Plus it went away the first time it showed up. I feel bad for the poor little guy. Hopefully the parasite stuff works.

Well, Bert seems a little better today. He came out of hiding and didn't dart away the second he saw me. The sore on his side looks better too. It's not as swollen and there is only a little white stuff in there and it isn't as red either. He's definitely still sick but hopefully he's on the mend. Do you think I should do a second jungle parasite tab treatment after the 48 hours?

Back
Top Bottom