Fungus INFECTION????!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaHowe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tank and just recently I've noticed my black molly has white spots on her body and a cloudy white eye. She seems to doing fine and is eating and swimming good. I did some research and I'm pretty positive it is a fungus. If so how can I treat it???!
Here are some pics of her,
20170913_180303.jpg20170913_180209.jpg20170913_180304.jpg

The best weapon against a fungus is very clean water. Fungus exists in all of our tanks. If a fish gets a scratch often times the fungus will take root on the injured tissue. Sometimes fungus is a secondary symptom to a bacterial infection. When that happens it's usually too late. Since your Molly is eating and acting normally, probably not bacterial or Columnais. You might treat with Melafix, "non toxic" antiseptic, or an aquarium salt treatment, one tablespoon per gallon. Be sure to do a 25 - 35% WC asap to get things heading the right direction. Hope this helps.

What are the water parameters?

It happens frequently when the water quality goes out of the safe level. I have a couple fish had this experience (when my filter got unplugged and then again around a week later got bumped and the intake went off center and it stopped and one of them is having this issue now and Just got medicine because the water changes didn't completely fix it.

Clean water #1 and then see what the white spots are.

Looks bacterial to me?
Fungus is fuzzy...
If it is not fuzzy it is not fungus..
Are the other fish in tank salt tolerant? If so I would start treating with salt.
If it looks fuzzy to you then treat for fungus with M.Green and formalin , which is what rid ich plus [Kordon brand , NOT the herbal stuff ]..
Aquarium Fish Diseases and How to Spot Them | Tetra Aquarium
This link may help you diagnose...

The best weapon against a fungus is very clean water. Fungus exists in all of our tanks. If a fish gets a scratch often times the fungus will take root on the injured tissue. Sometimes fungus is a secondary symptom to a bacterial infection. When that happens it's usually too late. Since your Molly is eating and acting normally, probably not bacterial or Columnais. You might treat with Melafix, "non toxic" antiseptic, or an aquarium salt treatment, one tablespoon per gallon. Be sure to do a 25 - 35% WC asap to get things heading the right direction. Hope this helps.

Thank I will try the Melafix and WC. I'll keep you all updated.

What are the water parameters?

It happens frequently when the water quality goes out of the safe level. I have a couple fish had this experience (when my filter got unplugged and then again around a week later got bumped and the intake went off center and it stopped and one of them is having this issue now and Just got medicine because the water changes didn't completely fix it.

Clean water #1 and then see what the white spots are.
My water parameter have been fine recently just haven't been keeping up with my WC every week like I should be doing. Thanks for the reply

Looks bacterial to me?
Fungus is fuzzy...
If it is not fuzzy it is not fungus..
Are the other fish in tank salt tolerant? If so I would start treating with salt.
If it looks fuzzy to you then treat for fungus with M.Green and formalin , which is what rid ich plus [Kordon brand , NOT the herbal stuff ]..
Aquarium Fish Diseases and How to Spot Them | Tetra Aquarium
This link may help you diagnose...
Yes all my fish are salt tolerate and I will add salt immediately thank you.

if your going to raise fish from the petstore your going to need to treat new fish with an antibiotic and worm them.

Don't add salt if you're medicating, especially if using formalin and m. Green, if it's bacterial you should lower the tank temp to 74-76 as bacteria grows faster at warmer Temps hence why when cycling a tank they tell you to crank the heat up because your beneficial bacteria will grow faster speeding up the cycling process.

Why not add salt potluck?
Ive added salt to a tank being treated with quick cure before....
just wondering, maybe i should not anymore (know that Malachite is a salt based medicine)

Why not add salt potluck?
Ive added salt to a tank being treated with quick cure before....
just wondering, maybe i should not anymore (know that Malachite is a salt based medicine)
Reason you don't add salt with stuff that has Malachite green or as others reference it as m. Green is because that alone has a very strong dose of salt in it already of a different kind, if you read the back of the bottle of rid ich plus (Malachite green & formalin) it says do not use salt or any other medicine, I don't know the exact reason maybe a toxic combination of the 2 different salts no idea honestly but you shouldn't use any other product when treating with another, if you have a fungus Malachite green or rid ich plus will do wonders al by itself.

Okay, good to know, my guppies had ick, and i used solar salt along with "quick cure" because salt, irritates the slime coat and helps the fish fight off disease(s)

UPDATE: Thank you all, sorry it took a while for me to update you all just been really busy. Fortunately after doing a WC and adding salt and medicine to the tank my molly improved a lot overnight and by the next week was totally healthy thank you all.

I prefer clout nowadays, Mix clout with M. Blue and drop in a heater preset to 86f and a handful of rocked solar salt.
Wait 2 days and change half the water, my guppies always pick right up.

Back
Top Bottom