Fungus---- Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
It appears one of my betta fish has a fungal infection....any ideas how to remove it?

yes, a picture would be very helpful, but if it's cottony, it sounds like it could be columnaris. if it is, get him on some serious meds ASAP and give us some water parameters. i've heard maracyn can treat it but i have no idea how successful it is. when did you first notice this fungus?

As said when did you first notice it? Columnaris moves fast so if it was just in the last day I'd get on the meds ASAP. You need to get an antibiotic that fights gram negative bacteria.

As said when did you first notice it? Columnaris moves fast so if it was just in the last day I'd get on the meds ASAP. You need to get an antibiotic that fights gram negative bacteria.
-
I noticed it just yesterday, all levels in the tank are normal, ph is 8.2 temperature is 77 degrees fahrenheit.

I just made a water change yesterday, because ammonia levels were developed into .25, which made me want to conduct an 18% water change

Attachments

• P1020036.jpg
    P1020036.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 54
  • P1020035.jpg
    P1020035.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 50
I thank you for all the help that is given.....I've had him for a year and I'd like for him to continue having adventures

You said your tank has a ammonia level of 0.25ppm. How long has your tank been in operation? I know this is a basic question but has your tank been cycled? What type of filtration do you have?

The reason I asked is my tank has 50+ fish and yes I know its a little overstocked but I will be re homing a few of the newly born swordtails once they are bigger to a 29 gallon tank I will have setup and cycled in the next few months. Anyways I will be honest after my tank was cycled I never had a detectable ammonia level. If your tank is not cycled or you did something to kill off your beneficial bacteria that could explain the ammonia spike. If the fish is stressed do to a ammonia spike etc it could allow for disease to have an easier chance to infect fish.

You said your tank has a ammonia level of 0.25ppm. How long has your tank been in operation? I know this is a basic question but has your tank been cycled? What type of filtration do you have?

The reason I asked is my tank has 50+ fish and yes I know its a little overstocked but I will be re homing a few of the newly born swordtails once they are bigger to a 29 gallon tank I will have setup and cycled in the next few months. Anyways I will be honest after my tank was cycled I never had a detectable ammonia level. If your tank is not cycled or you did something to kill off your beneficial bacteria that could explain the ammonia spike. If the fish is stressed do to a ammonia spike etc it could allow for disease to have an easier chance to infect fish.
----
My tank was fine but a little over stocked.....the tank is a 10g and had 2 gourami (blue paradise) and 2 neons in it that took up way too much space and apparently didn't belong there. I moved Ice in after and 24 hours after I moved him in that fungus happened

i can't see the fungus very well from the pics. is it white? also, where is it on the body? manybe i'm looking in the wrong place?

----
My tank was fine but a little over stocked.....the tank is a 10g and had 2 gourami (blue paradise) and 2 neons in it that took up way too much space and apparently didn't belong there. I moved Ice in after and 24 hours after I moved him in that fungus happened
Be careful, 2 neon tetras? They will have a lot of stress unless you have a school of them. I have 12 neon tertras but that would be to many for that tank. Are you planning on re homing any of the fish or moving to a bigger tank?

I'm pretty sure the tetras and paradise fish where moved and replaced with the Betta.
-----
yes they were all adopted out..... Ice is now upside down breathing awfully and I changed everything in the tank I don't know what else to do

If Ice ends up...passing on...... how long should I wait and what should I do before introducing news fish to the tank

Sammy S said:
-----
yes they were all adopted out..... Ice is now upside down breathing awfully and I changed everything in the tank I don't know what else to do

If Ice ends up...passing on...... how long should I wait and what should I do before introducing news fish to the tank

I don't want to scare you but this is what I did.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/sterilizing-tank-with-plants-after-columnaris-182070.html

Changed everything? What exactly?
How you dosed the medication? He maybe reacting badly to it.

I don't want to scare you but this is what I did.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/sterilizing-tank-with-plants-after-columnaris-182070.html

Changed everything? What exactly?
How you dosed the medication? He maybe reacting badly to it.
---
I fed him via brine as the breeder I had received him from told me to do, but hes been like that for a few hours now and I gave him the Furan an hour ago but I took out the plants and added new ones (moved Ice to my hospital tank) and boiled the decor

What temperature have you got the hospital tank? Turn the temp down to 72-74F. It will help slow it down.
---
Thank you, I turned it to 72; I will keep you updated as to how he's doing and I can't thank you enough for your help

Back
Top Bottom